Chapter 4

A SHORT VISIT

The following day, Evelyn woke up to the annoying sound of her digital clock ringing like a rusty, old school bell, reminding her that she had to get up for work. Evelyn slowly closed her sleepy eyes and sighed as she switched off her alarm. Before leaving her comfortable, warm bed, she grabbed her phone on the nightstand next to her. As she clicked on the sticky home button an unexpected and endearing message from Jeffrey popped up.

"Hey Eve. I'll be dropping by Patrick's coffee shop to get a mug of the flavorful coffee of yours. xojd" (Received: 6:40 AM)

Evelyn smiled to herself as she sank deeper into her airy and cosy bed; her heart almost popping out of her chest, leaving her unable to text Jeffrey back. How was she going to deal with him showing up at work, looking oh so handsome with that cute smile of his? Evelyn didn't know, but it kind of made her want to fly out of her bed and make herself ready for her own downfall - and so she did.

When Evelyn had made her bed, she got dressed in her working clothes. Today she was wearing her favourite, black skinny jeans and her washed-out, green working shirt, which she hated more than strong wind on a summer day. Evelyn watched herself in the mirror equipped on her wardrobe as she styled her hair, plaiting a double French braid. Even though Evelyn went late to bed last night, she looked fresh and fit - and maybe that was all Jeffrey's fault.

As Evelyn nibbled on her breakfast in the kitchen, she read Jeffrey's message over and over. Good god, she didn't know what to reply without sounding dumb or desperate; without making a fool out of herself. After sitting with her phone in her hands, speculating about what happened last night, she finally pulled herself together and replied the astonishing, tall man.

"Sounds great, Jeff! Can't wait to see you again. xo" (Sent: 7:20AM)

Evelyn locked her phone and ate a big spoon of healthy mango yoghurt, smiling deeply. When she had finished her breakfast, she washed her porcelain bowl and placed it carefully in the dishwasher next to her. Afterwards, she poured herself a glass of cold water and gazed down at her leather watch, thinking about leaving in good time for once.

X

Evelyn let herself in and deactivated the alarm. Thank god, she hated when she was the first person to arrive at work. The fear of setting off the alarm was always in the back of her head, constantly reminding her of when she first started working at Patrick's coffee shop. A few days after Patrick had shown her everything, he gave her the keys to the shop; he shouldn't have done that. On her first day at work, as nervous as she was, Evelyn sat off the alarm and started panicking. Patrick, of course, had yelled and screamed at her for hours. Evelyn almost quit her job back then, but she needed money; lots of money to pay for her education. Sad enough, she had to drop out one year later. Evelyn couldn't afford her education whilst living on her own.

Evelyn turned the lights on and placed her bag on the marble counter. She carefully hung her jacket on the coat rack next to her, sighing heavily. As soon as she sat foot in the shop Evelyn wanted to leave again. The two only things that kept her from leaving, were Jeffrey and Britney.

Britney was one of Evelyn's favourite co-workers; indeed, one of her best friends. They had known one another since Evelyn started working at the coffee shop and Britney was one of the main reasons why Evelyn could endure working.

"Hi, beautiful!" Britney giggled loudly as she entered the shop, making Evelyn jump slightly.

"You scared me, Britney"

Britney grinned, "Sorry, I'm always so overstrung".

Evelyn smiled to herself as she tied her green apron around her waist. She was so happy that Britney didn't decide to call in sick. Evelyn didn't feel safe after what happened between her and Patrick last night. But thanks to Britney, she felt a bit safer; she always did in her wonderful presence.