Chapter two: Untimely Events

The butler, Sebastian, showed me in and stood behind his master’s desk. And what a master; he was most certainly not what I expected. Short, perhaps my age (I thanked God for that, at least) and he wore a patch over his right eye, the other brilliant blue. Pale, dark hair and an impatient frown.

“What do you want?” He asked, drumming his fingers on the desk. I remembered parents’ warning to make a good impression. I smiled sweetly and grasped my skirts to curtsey.

“My family sent me to discuss business arrangements. I am Lady-”

“Yes, I am fully aware of your status, Irena,” He annunciated my name as if it were an insult. “Your father’s letter was very… suggestive. And you aren’t a lady, your family doesn’t own enough land.” He folded his hands neatly, looking rather pleased with himself.

“Excuse me?” I stuttered. I hadn’t read the letter father had sent him but I never expected him to actually propose such a subject in that way.  

“You’re not here to speak of business arrangements, you’re only here to court someone who won’t allow it.” He rose from his seat. For someone so young, he was remarkably rude. I noticed he was shorter than me and, for some reason, that made me happier. “I bid you good evening. Sebastian, please show her out.” I saw the butler move to escort me but he stopped when he saw my face. He hesitated.

“My lord, perhaps you judge too quickly. Surely the young lady would like a chance to explain herself.” He said, his words surprising both the Earl and I. A long moment passed as I waited for Ciel’s response.

“You may be right Sebastian.” He sighed. “Irena, would you care to stay for dinner?” he addressed me. I straightened and refused the urge to call him a rude name. He insults me then expects me to share a meal with him? But fear of my father won out and I accepted his offer.

“I’d be delighted to.” I said.

“Very well. In the meantime, please enjoy the grounds. I’m sure Sebastian will give you a tour of the mansion.” He waved a hand at the butler. I nodded.

“Until tonight.” I swept a curtsey. Sebastian took my arm and led me out.

“My apologies for the young master, you see, his is under terrible strain.” I peered up at him. How curious, his eyes were such a light brown they almost looked red. He had a timeless face, though he definitely looked young.

“How do you mean? If you don’t mind me asking.” I said. He led me out the door, the afternoon air was crisp.

“It’s not my place to say.” I nodded. If Ciel wanted something kept private, then it wasn’t for me to pry.

“Of course I understand, please pardon me. What lovely grounds.” I changed the subject. And I wasn’t lying, the gardens stretched out before me, ripe with neatly trimmed hedges and flowers. His lips  parted slightly in a smile.

“You enjoy them?” He asked as we strolled down one of the many gravel pathways.

“Very much so, I didn’t expect to see such elaborate beauty.” I said, noticing a figure ahead trimming the roses.

“Oh! Sebastian, I didn’t expect you to come here.” He said, setting down his shears. He was young, perhaps only a few years older than me with green eyes and tousled blond hair.

“It’s quite alright, Finnian. May I introduce Miss Irena.” Sebastian said smoothly. I smiled at him and he matched my grin.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you ma’am.” He said.

“I just adore the gardens, you’ve done a remarkable job with everything.” He beamed at my words.

“Oh, thank you, Lady. I’ve got to be getting to work, but please enjoy the rest of the gardens!” He waved and set off in the opposite direction we came from.

“The young master will probably be ready for dinner in a few hours. I’ll have Mey-Rin show you the interior of the mansion.” Sebastian said as we headed back. “I shall see you at dinner.”

~<>~

So what do you guys think? I'm kind of happy with it, but I still have a whole lot more to write. Wish me luck! And I'm very sorry for not updating, where I live the service is terrible and there's no Wifi... Let me know of any mistakes, please!