chapter three: unlikable characters

I seated myself across from Ciel. He looked bored and irritable, which I figured was pretty usual.

“Irena, did you want to discuss business arrangements or have you come here just to receive a tour of my estate?” He said. I once again repressed the urge to tell him off. How did that butler keep his patience?

“My father owns the Norbarrie company,” I began. He sighed and picked at his food.

“I know of it. What do you propose?”

“I’m here to discuss a partnership between our companies.” I said with as much dignity as I could muster. That was the story father had told me to tell, but I knew it was only half true. Ciel sniffed.

“Why should my company even consider that notion?” He said, taking a sip from the goblet next to him.

“I believe you misunderstand. Our company could ship your product farther then you can now and increase sales significantly more-”

“I’m not interested in your petty attempts at lying. What I want to know is,” He leaned forward in chair, studying me intently. “Why-” The dining room door burst open.

“Pardon me, young master, but there’s a gentleman here to see you.” The maid standing in the entryway announced in a high-pitched voice. I saw the earl siit back in his chair and glare at here.

“Mey-Rin, what have I told you about interrupting me?” He asked rhetorically.  She turned red and opened her mouth to respond. “But it-”

“It’s urgent,” A different voice finished. “My apologies for interrupting your dinner, but this matter simply cannot wait.” A man in a white uniform stepped out from behind the girl.

“It will wait until we are in a more private setting.” Ciel said, pointedly looking at Mey-Rin and I. She dropped a hasty curtsey and left but I just stood there. What was I supposed to do?

“Sebastian, escort Irena to the drawing room and return immeadetly.” He ordered. I shifted on my feet. The other man held up his hand.

“Wait a moment, is this Irena Norbarrie?” He asked. Ciel nodded.

“Unfortunetly, yes. What of it?” Sebastian stood at my side, unsure of what to do.

“She must stay.” The messenger said. I glanced at him.

“Why must I be present?” I asked before Ciel could retort.

“There is a tragic matter regarding a member of the Norbarrie family.”

~<>~

Woah two updates in one day? It's cos I found the best spot to get service aka  me sitting on the bathroom counter.  I'm going to library later too so expect another chapter.  Tell me what you think!