Chapter 4 - Nate

As we drove around aimlessly yet again, we came across a gas station, filled up the tank, and cranked up the air conditioner and the music. It was seven by the time we realized we were all starving. So we headed back to the cabin and Erin let us pig out because it was our last night. She had been rationing our food so strictly that I had forgotten what a proper ham and cheese sandwich tasted like.

We wandered over to the rec room after dinner and played a game of pool. I was on a team with Erin, so I was expecting to loose. But she told me that her dad had taught her how to play when she was little, so after she got the hang of it, she did pretty well, and Erin and I ended up beating Tyler and Mark.

Tyler grumbled, "Erin's supposed to be bad at sports."

She flicked him in the back of the head and exclaimed, "I knew the teams were fixed!"

They just smiled sheepishly, making our win feel even better. If there is any thing Erin and I have in common, it's that we're a little competitive.

That night, I was lying on the cold floor again staring out the window behind me, waiting for the cue of Mark and Tyler's loud snoring to leave the house. When I figured it was safe, I tiptoed out, slipping through the door of the bedroom I shared with Tyler and Mark.

Erin was still lying on the lumpy couch, staring at the ceiling with a bored expression.

"So, waddaya wanna do tonight?" I asked.

She nearly jumped out of her skin, giving a little yelp. "Wha -" She sputtered, shrugging off her blanket and stumbling off the couch.

I smirked, "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

She made a face at me. Her hair was a tangled mess and her tank top and shorts that she wore to bed were wrinkled, but she didn't look even remotely tired. I hadn't realized she was so jumpy.

"I wasn't under the impression that we were doing something," She said, recovering.

"Well, I don't feel like going into the forest again. I want to do something fun, not listen to you chat about Greek gods." I teased.

The darkness didn't mask her blushing. "You didn't seem to mind last night."

"I was kidding. C'mon."

"Where are we - " I ignored her, walking past her and out the front door.

I kept going until, after a moment's hesitation, her curiosity won out and she followed.

"Where are we going?" Erin asked yet again.

"We're here." I lead her to the locked fence that surrounded the pool.

Erin didn't miss a beat. She didn't seam either surprised or disappointed. She simply asked, "How do we get in?"

"Good question." I started climbing up the fence. "Like this," I called down, but I didn't need to. Erin wasn't that far behind me.

We got to the top, with nothing but the moonlight to guide us, and I offered to let her go first so that I could hep her over the side.

"I'm perfectly capable of getting over on my own. Besides, I want you to go first. If this fence has an electric barrier that goes twenty feet above it and electrocutes anyone who makes contact, you let me know."

We were in the Middle of Nowhere, Pennsylvania. The were no electric barriers.I stared at her.

She broke into a grin. I decided she should smile more often. It was a good look for her. "I'm kidding. I do have a sense of humor, you know. Just go over the top."