15. Town

Ash swore he'd never drink again. It was a rough night. Throwing up, head floating, dry mouth and a throat like sandpaper. Lucky it was only three steps to the bathroom. It was 3 a.m. before Ash settled into an uneasy sleep. He kept jerking awake from weird dreams where everything was spinning.

"Ash," Brock shouted. It was 7 a.m., Saturday morning. "Wake up, man." Ash sat up in bed rubbing his eyes.

"You got drunk, didn't you?" Brock said.

"Ugh."

"This room stinks of beer."

"I feel like I'm dying," Ash groaned. "How did you get in here?"

"Picked the lock. I did knock first but you didn't answer."

"Can't you leave me to die?"

"Ash, shut up and listen. There's a mission in London tonight. Nine of us are spending the day up there hanging out. You're not supposed to come, but it's all been thrown together at the last minute and it's a Hala production so we can smuggle you on to the train."

"What's a Hala production?"

"He's one of the mission controllers," Brock explained. "He's a sweet old guy, but he's a bit doddery and he'll never notice an extra kid tagging along."

"I've got a hangover," Ash said. "And I'm sick of always getting in trouble."

"Don't you want to visit your sister then?"

"How will we do that?" Ash asked, excitedly kicking off his duvet and swinging out of bed. "Giovanni won't let me in the flat."

"If Leaf's home, we'll find a way. I wanted to help you visit her when we were at Coumarine House, but I couldn't without breaking my cover. This is your only chance. Once you start basic training, you're cut off from everything for three months."

"When are we leaving?" Ash asked.

"Twenty minutes. Have a quick shower, put on civilian clothes and get your butt downstairs."

It was weird being back. London seemed dirty and noisy, even though Ash had lived here until a few weeks before. The kids all split up when they arrived at King's Cross station. A bunch of girls were going shopping in Oxford Street. Most boys in the group were going to Namco Station, a big amusement arcade opposite Big Ben. They all had to meet outside Edgware Underground at 6 p.m. for the mission. Gary wanted to go to Namco, but decided to stay with Brock and Ash once he heard what they were doing.

"You'll get bored," House said. "We're just going to Ash's old neighbourhood to visit his little sister."

"You might need me for protection," Gary said.

Brock laughed. "Protection from what, Gary? Come if you want. Just don't whine all day if you get bored."

Gary had never been on the Underground before. He looked at the map and counted how many stops like a five-year-old. Giovanni lived behind Kentish Town station, a couple of streets from the estate where Ash used to live with his mum.

 Giovanni lived behind Kentish Town station, a couple of streets from the estate where Ash used to live with his mum