Brief Topics: Diction and Description

Diction: the choice and use of words and phrases in speech or writing

Description: a spoken or written representation or account of a person, object, or event.

Words, words, words, so many words. Y'all suck at using them.

You have to know when to use certain words. You also have to know to use very descriptive words.

Examples:

Sad scene- most use things like tears and rain and stuff like that. Don't do that. Avoid saying the obvious, make it dramatic. Use long intricate sentences and words. The tension in the atmosphere only added to the gravity of things that had spilled from his mouth.

Happy scene- most use things like the sun and sunny days to indicate happiness. You can do that but try using more specific things. Laughter, smiling, comedy. Keep the sentences about a medium length and the words more simple. Happiness is fairly simple. Both cracked a smile and burst into laughter as the rain poured.

Action scene- most use simple words and almost bullet point it. Don't do that. Use quick sentences, yes, but use descriptive words. He hit the wall. The crackle in his back apparent. Not helped by the stones dropping down.

Alrighty

A thesaurus exist for a reason, use it.

Please. Description is important and dictions goes with it.