Exposition in Fanfiction

Since I know that alot of people reading this book probably write fanfiction, I'm gonna address one of my biggest pet peeves in fanfiction.

As the title says, the exposition in most fanfiction is just dumped head on and decides it's necessary to explain everything of the source material.

I'm here to tell you not to do that because it, not only annoys the reader, but it insults their intelligence as well. You're not writing something that only comes from your head. They know why they're reading this and it's because you're using characters and stories from the original source material that brought them there.

They know the goddamn plot by that point.

Then there's this trend of just dumping all the information in about a paragraph. Which is the tell don't show rule that you shouldn't use unless you really need to. It's in the exposition to your fic that you should show.

Oh they got a crush. Okay.

Most would probably put something along this.

"[Insert name here] has had a crush on [insert name here] for months now."

When you should be more self aware and use something like this instead.

"[Insert name here] stared as [insert name here] walked into the door. Eyes sparkling, hips swaying just so, and that amazing smile. [Insert pronoun here] was totally crushing on [insert pronoun]."

You have to at least show makes them have such a crush on the other person. And make it dramatic.

You can't just say it without any evidence and leave it as a small twist making everything seem normal but eventually just outright saying it and having the rest of your fic be like an essay as to why they do have said crush.

Ya gotta romantisize the crush!!!!

It's not hard pls and thank.