Blanked And Shattered

Lauren's PoV

"You really have a lot of nerve showing up here," I said in a whispered breath, not budging the hotel door open any further.

"I bumped my studio time up," Sofi cleared her throat and she chewed on part of her nail, "I think it's best I just go until the air clears a bit."

"Don't do me any favours." I hissed.

"Lauren, please just listen to me!" She leaned against the doorframe and clutched it with her hand. "Camila lives here."

"I know." I sighed. "Sofi, please..." I closed my eyes. "God I don't even know what to think right now. I have so much to process in my tiny brain that I'm just not in the mood to cram it all in right now." I looked at her and squared my jaw, "I came here to get my daughter back and the moment you knew it was possible, you tried to discourage me, why?"

If anything, I just wanted to know that reason. She was my best friend for years and she harboured big things from me.

Lucas Cabello.

Granted it wasn't her thing to tell me but still, I was selfish and would've liked to have known that my ex had an almost teeny bopper running around.

Sofi's eyes widened and she stammered over her words. "No! That's not-"

"Sofi." I pulled her into the room, when I noticed Chelsea's door open up. "I know what I heard back in Thunder Bay."

"No!" Sofi pleaded and grabbed my hands into her cold ones. "I didn't mean for you to take it that way and now that I think about it, I would've too, but god," she grabbed at her perfect rock star hair and pulled, kicking the desk leg, "fuck it." She mumbled. "The only reason why I was saying that was because Dylan found a really good home here and," she took a deep breath, "I think that you'd approve and-"

"And I shouldn't bother?"

"No Goddamnit, just fucking listen to me!" Sofi said in a frustrated tone and looked at me with darkened grey eyes. "My dad managed to get Dylan into proper care with the system here. He found the perfect person who would raise your daughter as if she were her own because she has one as well. He told me not to tell you," she blinked with unshed tears, "he thought it would be best if you didn't know during the time that you were getting better."

"I don't get it." I finally whispered, finally calm enough to hear her out. "Why would Mr. C do that?"

"He was protecting everyone." Sofi whispered back. "I mean, everyone who was involved, including the woman taking care of Dylan."

She was speaking in riddles and it was driving me insane. "I'm really trying to keep my patience intact, Sofia Cabello."

"Okay, okay," she breathed and rubbed her forehead, "Camila has a daughter as well and I know I should've mentioned it but I just, I didn't know how. I didn't want it to break your heart because-"

I stopped her with my hand. I could tell she was about to spill more but for some reason, I didn't want to hear it.

"Lucas Cabello?" I blinked and watched her nod.

"How did you know?"

"We um," I tried to keep my emotions intact as well, "we sort of met earlier. I was at Timmy's with Chelsea, my caseworker, and she was there with Jaiden."

"Oh." Sofi looked down at her feet. "Oh."

"What does this have to do with Dylan?" I frowned again.

"Well," she took another deep breath and bit her bottom lip hard, "Dylan is under Camila's care."

What was that sound? Oh yea, my heart hammering to the floor leaving all my nerve ends shot and scattered beneath me.

I blanked.

I stared at her blankly.

I didn't want anymore surprises and yet, that's all that was being offered to me.

I think I heard correctly.

Dylan was living with Camila?

Small fucking world.

"Lauren?" Sofi's voice wavered and it wasn't until then that I realized I was crying.

Overwhelmed.

Scared.

Nauseous.

Relieved?

"You have to go." I said and pushed her towards the door.

Sofi had been harbouring major secrets. Whether I was overreacting or not, it was still a slap in the face and a kick to the vag.

"What?" Sofi panicked.

"I can't deal with you right now," I whispered and yanked open the door, "please Sofi, just leave."

"Laur..."

"Leave!" I slammed the door in her face and slunk to the floor, my hands covering my mouth.

I don't remember going to sleep that night. I don't remember grabbing an old 'CABELLO' jersey from my suitcase and the 'Jauregui' hockey bear that I had given Dylan on her sixth birthday. The one Camila gave me. But I woke up early the next morning to find myself tangled up in the article of clothing, drooling on the bear and the worn out school picture I had of Dylan in my hand. It was her school picture from her second grade and the most recent one I had.

I wasn't going to go anywhere at all the rest of that weekend.

How could I?

How could I possibly take away the one most important person to me from the other most important person to me?

-\-/-