PROLOGUE

"'Run, Run, Run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man.' Mocked the gingerbread man to the big bad wolf." A man says to his child, a five year old. The child grinned, giggled, got up, grabbed the blanket she had sitting on the small chair beside her bed, and ran in circles with the blanket flying as if it knew the turns she was gonna make before she made them. 

"No, Daddy. The big bad 'olf can't catch the 'ingerbed man." The child says, a little out of breath. She keeps running for a few more moments before settling down on the bed again. "He can't catch him cause he 'o zoom just like you." She tries to get back up to run around. The man grabs her before she is even off the pretty pink comforter.

"Are you sure? What do I always say sweetie?" he ask slowly as to make sure she understood every word.

"You 'ever know wha'..." she trailed off not really knowing the rest.

"...could happen. Yes." He finished for her. But made it sound like he was just repeating to her. "Try to remember that forever baby"

"I try." She answer him with the biggest smile. He never let her down.

He kisses her forehead and tucks her in. "I'll be back in a few moments to make sure you're trying to sleep." She sat up abruptly.

"Dad, you didn't finish the 'tory." She told him in a duh tone, like he was the idiot who forgot something.

"I know. I'll finish it tomorrow, your brother needs to be put to bed." He spoke with the hint of laughter lacing his voice.

"Alright. But you better be here buddy. Or I'll come searching." She tells him with her fingers in a gun like position. He just smiled and nodded his head. So she replied with an "I'll be 'ere pal" before rolling over to go to sleep.

As the father closed the door, the window opened and a man crawls in.

"Hello, my dear" the man says sweetly.

"Who are you?" The little girl ask. She's not worried, although she knew she should be.

"Don't be afraid, my little one. I will not harm you. Will you come with me? I'll bring you back, sometime soon." He smiles and tilts his head slightly to the left. "I promise"

She look at the man, then the door, then back to the man. I know daddy says not to go with strangers but he seems nice. He says he'll bring her back home soon. So she thinks she can go with him. She thinks he'd be nice to her. So she decided to go with him. But only if she can bring Teddy. So she decided to ask him.

"Sir, can I bwing Teddy?" He looked at her then at her door like he was expecting something.

" Yes, Sweetie. You may bring Teddy." He quickly tried to get me to come to the window when she finally get there. He gently picked her up and says it's to help her get down from the window. So of course she don't say anything why would she? He's helping her right?

When he got down to the ground he kept holding her up, taking her deeper in the forest. She don't go this deep in the forest her daddy says that's not what a good girl does. Good girls stay near the house unless they with someone daddy knows. Does Daddy know this man? Would Daddy be mad she left? She may need to go back, Daddy won't be happy she left or that she went this far into the woods. 

"Sir, wha's your name?" she was taught to be polite she should have ask earlier she knew.

" That's not important right now." Was all he said to me. So she didn't ask again. She just waned to know what to call him to ask him to take her home but she will just have to keep calling him Sir.

"Um. Sir, can you 'ake me home now? Daddy gonna wanna know where I be at. Please let me go tell him, Sir. I no tell I go with you, I-" She didn't get to finish her sentence the words were literally slapped out of my mouth. She looked back at the man her cheek tingles and when she touch it. It really hurt. She didn't even notice he had sit her down on the forest floor until she realized the feel of the twigs and leaves on her cold bare feet.

"You will not ask to go home. Do you understand? You will not go home for a long time now. But someday I'll let you return home just like I promised" With those words he grabbed Teddy from her arms and threw him to the forest floor. He cut her arm and held it over Teddy for a long time. Then he picked her up while she was crying and took her to her new room.

"Here is where you stay now"

Every night it's the same dream, I don't know the end of the dream or the story of it. I know the little girl is me but everything else makes no sense. The faces are blurs and no names are given. But I bought a copy of the Gingerbread Man. And a 'Teddy' but I can't pull up any more of that night or those faces in my head.  Is this a dream or a memory? And why can't I remember?

A/N: This is my first time showing my work at all. If you don't like don't read I didn't make you click on this. Please don't hate on this it literally saved my life multiple times. I am not a steady person I write when I feel like it please don't expect regular updates. Warning there. Goodnight its 11:30 here at nightish so I'm going to sleep any grammar issues don't be shy about sharing with me. I didn't edit this yet.