Chapter 3: Sinking Ship

Adam , our other sibling hasn't arrived yet. We decided that he's running late and we sat down around the table waiting for Mom to do her finishing touches. She's always been a perfectionist​, but I think this time is for Steven and Kristen. I don't really see why she's trying to impress her that much. I mean even her cereal making skills are pretty damn impressive. A few minutes later she finally exclamied "Done!". My father and I stood up immediately to help her carry all the plates, and to be honest, I couldn't wait any longer.

"Hello?" We heard a familiar voice from the hallway followed by a closing door. 

"Adam you made it!" My mom squeaked with glee.

"Mom.. wow... Only dogs could hear that sound!" I faked pain as I massaged my ear with a free hand. This earned me a smack to the back of my head by my mom.

"Better grab a plate for yourself, Brother, I'm not going to do that for you" I said as I walked past him, and sat down after serving our guests of honor.

"Since when do you serve anyone but yourself? And you're waiting for everyone to be seated?! Mom? Is John dying?" Adam pulled off his best horrified face. I was trying to be polite so I haven't said anything back, although my eye was itchy and I decided to scratch it with my middle finger. 

Mom shot us both a look that made us apologize at the same time. We all sat down and Steven was about to stand up, but I beat him to it. 

"Thank you for coming family, and Kristen" My mother shot me a dirty look. Okay three times now. "Thank you parents for this delicious looking food. We gathered here today to celebrate our family Sunday dinner tradition, and me obviously. Thank you let's eat."

I sat down and took a sip off my drink, and just as Steven looked at me and made sure I was done to stand up and make his toast.I blurted out quickly "Oh and our little Steve is engaged". 

Steven shot me a dirty look along with Kristen and my mother. Dad on the other hand mumbled "Amen" and started eating the food on his plate.

My mother nudged him with her elbow, he snapped out of his food trance to looked around and assess the room's vibe. As soon as he did he shot me a dirty look as well.

"Four" I mumbled out loud. I don't get why I got all these looks today. I haven't done anything bad. 

"Congratulations brother!" Adam exclaimed and stood up to walk around the table. They both shared a quick hug and then he hugged Kristen. 

Looking at them I couldn't stop myself from thinking about Julia again. Yes I slept around, and yes I haven't felt 'this' for any of them. Other than her name I don't know anything.

Without realizing I mumbled out her name, but no one besides my mom really noticed. My brothers were locked in this group hug thing, whatever that was, and my dad was already at his 3rd rib. Definitely had had enough waiting for the food. I think that after being married for 31 years he eats when he gets the chance and he won't wait for a second invite.
My mother was looking at me funny and mouthed "Julia?" With a puzzled look. I just shrugged and pretended it didn't happen.

Coming back home has never been gloomier. Usually it's with a girl that would put magazine models to shame. But tonight it's only me and my thoughts. Steven and Adam have their lives figured out, whether it's romantically or career wise. Thinking back on my life choices, maybe I shouldn't have slept around so much? Maybe I should've settled down by now?
Those thoughts are interrupted by my boss's text message "We need you. Come as soon as possible."

Ha I guess my Sunday night off has been cut short.

Driving to work was rather easy at this time of night, I didn't get stuck behind any traffic. Also, I didn't encounter any red lights which I would consider lucky. As soon as I walked into the bar , the disarray shocked me. The bar is built like a big W shape , but round-ish. That gave our bartenders plenty of space to work, even if there's more than one bartender at a station. The bar team consists of three guys and two girls. Rick was my fastest worker, so I usually place him on the chit station. That way the drinks ordered by the waiters for customers around the place get out faster. The girls names are Lily and Rachel, two busty women. The only difference was Lily was a blonde while Rachel was a brunette. Their contribution wasn't their bar tending skills, but their smiles and flirting with men for better tips. Although they were great at what they do I needed more experienced staff so I had them placed with my other two guys Tony and Chris. all four of them were placed at the front serving anyone on the bar.

Tonight however, no one was at their position. Lily was struggling with the keg tap. Rick was looking for someone outside the bar. Rachel was on the chit station while Chris was arguing with a waiter and Tony standing next to the cash register.

"Wow, I can't leave you guys for one day" I said sarcastically​ with a smile as I walked behind my bar team. I saw that some customers were getting impatient because they haven't been served at all, so I pointed them out for Tony, and told Chris to drop it and get to work. The waiter was new and he mixed up an order, and he was trying to get Chris to make the right drink. Chris was giving him a hard time instead of helping out the new guy. I waved Rick to get back to his station, and when he did I told him whatever it is I'll deal with it later.

Just like that, the team was working again and we were catching up. Less impatient people on the bar, the atmosphere is not as chaotic anymore.

While stirring one of my signature cocktails that was going to one of the regulars, I hear a woman's voice "Impressive. Looks like you were the missing piece of this ship to make it float" I looked up, and I really wish I didn't. "Julia..." I was surprised to see her again.

My dad was right, she already haunts my thoughts.