Chapter Ten

When they arrived home there was an owl from Shacklebolt waiting for them.

Please examine the attached memory and advise any new identifications.

Harry plucked the vial of silver liquid from the letter and held it up to the light.

"I told Shacklebolt I had a Pensieve," Malfoy said, watching the vial with an expression of distaste. "So perhaps this is his way of confirming I won't need to go into the Ministry as often. He might let me just look at them all here."

"Sounds as though he wants us both to look at this one," Harry said, glancing at Malfoy to see if that was alright with him. He didn't want to push in on something that Malfoy might want to experience alone.

Malfoy nodded. "Shall we get it over with?" He set the floating pile of books down on the coffee table and walked upstairs.

Harry followed, wondering if Malfoy would prefer he ignored the apprehension on Malfoy's face, or if he should say something.

"Well, come on then, Potter," Malfoy turned around and snapped.

Harry realised he had been slowing down to think, and quickly caught up to Malfoy in the sitting room with the Pensieve. The chest snapped at him, but he avoided it smoothly and sat down.

Malfoy poured the memory in and leaned over without waiting for Harry.

Harry leaned over the Pensieve and found himself suddenly back in Malfoy Manor. Malfoy stood next to him, watching something intently. Harry turned to see two Death Eaters talking. One was reclined lazily on one of Malfoy's armchairs, while the other stood in front of the fire, prodding it. Several other Death Eaters stood around, looking aloof or relaxed - it was obviously one of their memories they were witnessing, since most of them were in Azkaban. It all reminded Harry strangely of the Slytherin common room, when he had seen it during their investigations in second year.

"That's Twilfitt," Malfoy said, crossing his arms and nodding to the man in front of the fire. "And I've never seen the man on the couch."

"But you know everyone else in the room?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, Malfoy said without looking. His voice sounded bitter. "You don't know the man?" he asked Harry.

Harry shook his head.

Malfoy shrugged. "Let's get out of here then." He made to leave.

"Hang on," Harry said, holding a hand out to stop him. "What if Twilfitt says something about the wand?"

Malfoy sneered. "He isn't about to say anything in a room full of Death Eaters, Potter. Use your head. They're competition. You know, I think you were lying when you said the hat wanted to put you in Slytherin. You don't have an ounce of cunning in you. It was your unbridled jealousy of me that made you say something so stupid - It's alright, I understand." He patted Harry comfortingly on the back.

"Of the two of us, I'm the only one to have foiled an evil wizard," Harry said, shooting a glare at Malfoy. "So if I say that we should pay attention, we should pay attention."

Malfoy rolled his eyes. "Fine, Savior. What are they talking about?"

Harry listened closely.

The nameless man was shaking his head. "Couldn't find him," he said.

"Where did you look?" Twilfitt asked, his expression unimpressed.

"The usual hideouts," the man replied, his thick eyebrows knitting together fiercely. "No one there."