:: Chapter 27: Long gone ::

"Alice," James whispered, rooted to the spot. It was as though James had lost control over his limbs, and he stood there motionless, feeling as though only himself and Alice Longbottom were in the room. He could hear someone mutter "Evanesco," to clean up the mess but he didn't care. His eyes were fixated on the woman who was shuffling towards Neville.

The woman was not the Alice Longbottom he had once known. Her once short, brown hair was now white and dead looking, a tangled mess around her face. Her face was thin and worn, no longer plump and happy, no longer holding her usual enthusiastic energy. Her once bright blue eyes now seemed dull and over large. She made timid motions towards Neville, seemingly not wanting to speak, or perhaps she was unable to.

"Again? Very well, Alice dear, very well- Neville, take it, whatever it is...And is that really you, James?"

"Yes," said James, his voice barely above a whisper, unable to remove his eyes from his old friend. "It's me, Augusta."

"Thanks, mum." Neville muttered quietly to his mother.

"It's good to see you, James dear," Augusta said. 'It's good to see you."

Alice tottered away, humming to herself. James tore his eyes away from her and turned to Augusta Longbottom.

"She doesn't remember?" He asked, his chest tightening.

''Not after Bellatrix Lestrange tortured her and Frank so many times...Surely you must have heard?"

James nodded. "Is Frank here?"

"Behind the curtain," She replied, staring at James sadly.

James slowly made forward, and turned, pulling the curtain back. Frank was there, sitting on the bed.

It seemed like the whole world had come crashing down. Frank Longbottom was sitting upright on the bed, staring at the wall in front of him. His once black hair was now white like that of his wife's, he had wrinkles on his face, his eyes were blank and staring at the wall fixatedly.

"Frank?" James asked softly.

The man on the bed looked up briefly, and, seemingly without another thought, carried on staring at the wall. Disheartened, James grabbed a seat beside him.

"Let's go," He heard a tearful Hermione murmur to the others. The kids filed out, wanting to give James some privacy.

"Frank, I know you probably don't remember me..."

Frank Longbottom turned his head and stared at James uncomprehendingly.

"I was your friend. At school," He turned to Alice who was watching him.

"You were Lily's best friend," He implored desperately. "Her best friend even after school. Your son, Neville, he's standing right there. Remember the Fidelius charm? When Voldemort came hunting for our sons? How I-
how me and Lily had died?"

The couple stared at him unblinking, probably not grasping anything he was saying. But he carried on nevertheless.

"And they tortured you-" James broke off for a moment. "After they killed us. But now, I'm here. I don't know how, but I am. I can't see you two like this...please..."

But there was no response. The blank, uncomprehending eyes stared at him in mild curiosity. But suddenly, Alice's hand rose, and settled itself onto James's arm.

James looked up in shock, hoping to see a flicker of recognition in her eyes, but there was none. She merely looked fascinated with his arm, and then removed her hand and tucked it under the covers. James hung his head.