- 3 -

Abby strode purposefully back to the front office. She wanted to find out more about this dog, like how he could be so perfect and not be adopted yet.

When Abby first saw the dog, he'd looked so depressed with his head on his paws and hopelessness in his eyes. But as soon as he caught sight of her, his whole demeanor had changed. He'd cocked his head to one side and immediately stood up, tail wagging, as if he had recognized her.

This dog seemed friendly and intelligent. Its eyes practically spoke to her. He was perfect.

She reentered the front office and addressed the woman behind the desk. "I'd like to take one of the dogs."

The woman looked up from her paperwork and flipped her tightly cinched ponytail over one shoulder. Her face looked stern and a little tired. "We don't just hand dogs out like candy. We have to make sure the dog is a right fit for you and your family."

"Oh, it's just me."

"Great, then the first step is to have you interact with the dog. We bring it to a pen where you can go in and see how it reacts to you, and I can see how well it goes. I'm Ruth by the way."

"Abby. I can tell he already likes me."

"Oh really? Which dog is this?" Ruth reached for a binder.

"The tag said Henry. Should I go get the ID number from the tag?"

"Henry?" Her brows knitted in puzzlement. "He's been popular among the visitors, but they never want him after they interact with him."

"That's strange. Why is that? Does he bite?"

"Oh, no. Dogs that have been reported as biters are automatically slated to be destroyed. It's a safety precaution."

Destroyed. Abby shivered. "Then what did Henry do?"

"Absolutely nothing." Abby frowned in confusion, and the woman continued, "He would just lay there. They would pet him, try to play with him, and he pretty much ignored them. Really strange if you ask me. I mean, none of the dogs are happy to be here, but they crave attention so much that they fall all over themselves trying to get it. But this guy..." She shook her head slowly, as if pitying the creature. "Nothing."

This made no sense to Abby. Henry was animated and almost jubilant when he saw her. Were they talking about the same dog?

"I'd like to see him please," Abby said.

"All right," Ruth said with a resigned tone. "Follow me."

They went over to the enclosure where Henry was once again down on the ground, listless head resting on his paws.

"Wait there," she instructed and opened the gate, leash in hand. She clipped it to Henry's collar and gave a gentle tug. His eyes looked up at the woman, but he did not move. She tugged again, this time a little harder. With reluctance, the dog got to its feet and padded out the door.

Abby patiently waited several feet behind as Henry trudged alongside his handler, both ears hanging low. Poor thing, she thought, how long has he been in here?

As soon as they were in the holding pen, Ruth motioned for Abby to join them. As soon as she stepped inside, the dog came to life. He bounded over to her, barked, and reared up onto his hind legs to get closer to her face.

The woman looked on in utter surprise, eyebrows raised high and forehead wrinkled. "Well, that's different."

Abby crouched down and Henry began bathing her face with his tongue. "Eww." She laughed and pushed his head away. He nudged his face under her hand, and she began to stroke his soft fur. He nuzzled her, an expression of canine ecstasy on his face.

"I don't think there's any question," the woman said in amazement. "Henry is the dog for you."

"I think so!" Abby wrapped both arms around the dog's neck and squeezed. He sighed and leaned into her.

The deal was sealed.

Abby would take Henry home.

Yay, Henry found a home! How about a vote?