III

The two made it to the park early, sitting down beneath a large tree. They watched as children ran about, playing and screaming excitedly. A lot of moms took one look at them and instantly whispered to their kids to stay away, but Hercules didn't mind. The further away they stayed the better, in his opinion.

"Hey!" Came a voice from behind. Hercules turned to see the three girls from Monday. Peggy waved excitedly as they approached. John Laurens was giving her a piggyback ride. Hercules waved awkwardly in their direction.

Alex Hamilton, captain of the debate team, trailed behind, flirting with Angelica, and Eliza was walking a little off to the side, daydreaming. "Hello everyone!" Lafayette called, waving them over.

The group sat down around the tree, Laf saying hello to everyone. "The girls have already met Hercules, right?" Laf asked.

They all nodded in agreement. "Alright then, Alex, John, this is Hercules. Hercules, Alex and John," Lafayette stated.

"Hey," said Alex, who had pulled out what looked like a university level history textbook and had his nose buried in it.

"Herc and I know each other," John said casually.

"Really? How do you two know each other?" Laf asked.

"We were friends back in middle school but then..." Herc started, biting his lip.

"Life happened, and we just kinda lost touch as high school came around," John lied. Hercules let out a quiet sigh of relief. The real reason why they weren't friends anymore was because when John had come out in freshman year, he'd insisted that Herc stop talking to him. Hercules was the all-star, popular and athletic, and John had told him he didn't want to force Herc to give that up for him. Hercules had always felt guilty about it, and it had cost him his friendship with Hamilton too.

"Well that's too bad," Peggy stated from her perch on a low branch in the tree above them. "Maybe this could be your guys' chance to reconnect? You know, start over and all that."

John nodded, and Hercules smiled. "That would be awesome," he stated, looking John right in the eye.

Suddenly, footsteps approached from behind them and Thomas Jefferson approached them. "Well well well, what have we here? John Laurens. I didn't know that anyone was willing to associate with you, especially not Hercules Mulligan. What are you doing here?" Jefferson asked smugly.

"None of your business, Thomas," snarled Angelica.

"Ooohh, get back in the kitchen and make me a sandwich. It's the only thing you're good for," Thomas retorted. It took John and both of her sisters to keep Angelica from murdering him then and there. "And hold on just a second! If it isn't the second queer to grace this school, Lafayette. Always knew French guys were pansies, and now we have living proof."

Hercules stood up, glaring at the slightly taller guy. "Say one more thing about my friends. I fucking dare you," Lafayette growled, putting a hand on Hercules' shoulder.

"Aw, it's good to see you're controlling your dog" Thomas replied coyly, gesturing to Hercules, who in turn lunged forward only to be stopped by Lafayette. "But seriously, what are you going to do to stop me? Beat me up?"

"No, just gonna let my friends loose on you. They don't need me to fight their battles, because each and every one of them, save for maybe Peggy and Eliza can defeat you in a fair fight."

"Ouch," interjected Peggy.

"Well it's true," Eliza stated.

"So, I'd walk away if I were you," Lafayette stated, his voice deathly calm.