ii. return to school

"THANK YOU FOR that moment of silence

"THANK YOU FOR that moment of silence." Cheryl's voice pierced through the silence of the gym, Brynn was wedged inbetween Moose and Reggie for the big assembly. She noticed that every so often Cheryl would always look at her for reassurance, which she greeted with a warm smile to encourage her best friend. "Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason."

Everytime that anyone ever mentioned Jason, Brynn would always begin to fiddle with the lilac jewels that were on her bracelet. No matter how many pictures or memories that they had together, it was as if that bracelet signified something more, it was the last thing that reminded her of how happy Jason was, how she missed him being there. Like it was a souvenir of some kind, a souvenir that meant something.

"—I loved my brother, he was and always will be my soulmate."

Brynn felt Reggie tense up and shiver when Cheryl said those last words, as she looked over at him she saw him crinkle his nose in disgust, before she turned her attention back to her best friend's speech.

"Is that not a bit weird, you know, the soulmate thing?" Shivers were sent down Brynn's spine when she felt Reggie's mouth that close to her ear. His hot breath travelled from her ear down to her neck, causing her visibly cringe. That made Reggie burst out into cheesy grin.

After recovering from her cringe she decided to answer Reggie in a hushed whisper, trying not to drawn attention to them. "Well, love is just a weird concept I guess. I mean, not like you would know."

Looking back at Cheryl, a smug grin appeared on Brynn's lips as she mentally high-fived herself because Reggie didn't have any comeback. Even if she knew that her comment wasn't much of an insult, he didn't have any kind of remark to say back to her, and in her books that's winning, whatever the circumstances are. She didn't have to look over at Reggie to know that he was rolling his eyes and sulking at her comment.

Everyone around them started to clap and cheer at something Cheryl said. Brynn knew that it was because they'd both decided it wouldn't be a good idea to cancel the back-to-school semi-formal, but Reggie had no idea why anyone was applauding Cheryl's speech to Jason. So he just decided to cheer and clap, in an unenthusiastic and confused manner, making an amused smirk make it's way onto Brynn's face.

     "—to heal collectively and celebrate my brother's too, too short life on this mortal coil." Cheryl took a small pause before finishing off her speech. "Thank you all."

A chorus of applause echoed around the gym for Cheryl, the loudest one obviously coming from the back where Brynn was located with Jason's jock friends. Then, Principal Weatherbee walked up to the podium and began to explain the rules of the semi-formal dance to everyone.