Midnight Run

Shane  woke up suddenly, the noise of someone calling him on his phone had woken him from a very peaceful (and well needed) sleep. He groggily opened his eyes and pushed his hair back from his forehead before sitting up in his messy bed. The phone screen was lit up, softly illuminating his bedroom, while the time display said 3:08am.

Shane's right hand fumbled towards his phone, bringing it up to his face only to see that it was Ryan calling him. Shane groaned, accepting that he wont be asleep for another while, and slid his thumb across the screen to accept the call.

~~~

The duo had arrived back in Los Angeles just a few hours prior, after filming a new episode for Unsolved. This time they had investigated the well renowned Eastern State Penitentiary, Ryan of course freaking out most of the time. Shane had been more interested in the history of the building, but even the most sceptical part of himself couldn't deny that there was something disturbingly creepy about that place.

When they had reached the infamous Cellblock 4, all was well until Ryan was almost certain that something had grabbed him and whispered, "Leave" into his ear. He ran faster than Shane had ever seen him go before, which left Shane alone in the room with only a camera and a possible ghost. Yeah right.

Shane closed the old, rusty door to the dingy cell, notifying the rest that he was going to stay in the room for 2 minutes to see if anything would happen. And nothing would. Because ghosts aren't real.

He stood in the middle of the cramped (and frankly disgusting) cell, holding his camera out at arms length and turning slowly around on the spot.

Shane attempted to talk to the ghost, "Hey there, Mr Ghost. You gave my friend quite a scare there, so he doesn't really want to talk to you again. But you have me! So that's even better, right? Um, so I'm going to be quiet for a while, and you just do whatever to let me know you're here. Like flick me, punch me... Uhh, throw my against the wall, I don't mind."

Shane waited in silence. The whole building was cold but it felt even colder in this room, even though the layers of clothes, the beany and the gloves he was wearing. The tall man shivered. He knew ghosts were bullshit, the same goes for every Supernatural thing Ryan has pitched against him ever since joining him on his Unsolved adventures (but maybe not Bigfoot).

He kept pivoting on the same spot, keeping an eye out for anything strange. Suddenly his breath caught in his throat as the temperature dropped even further. He froze, the camera still rolling, capturing his every move, and maybe even the possible ghostly apparition that was in the room with him.

Shane remained calm, breathing out slowly. He could see his breath condense in the chilling air, and he looked down at the camera to make sure it was still rolling. If he died here he wanted people to know how. Shane Madej, the first man to be killed by a (not) ghost! He was still frozen on the spot. Some loose hair strands had fallen from his beany, and were now tickling his forehead, but Shane stayed completely still. He breathed out one more time before he felt what could only be described as a cold, soft hand sliding across his forehead and brushing the hair back up into his hat.

What the hell. Okay. That was strange. He could move again, he just didn't want to. Fuck. This was going to be a bit difficult to science his way out of, he had to stay on the sceptical side, and he didn't want to give into Ryan's beliefs (or make Ryan even more terrified than he was already).

A voice outside woke him from his trance, "Shane, are you dead yet?"

Shane smirked at Ryan's timid voice, "Yep, Mr Ghost here tore my heart out." Smirking when he heard Ryan's laugh (and a wheeze).

He looked around the dingy cell once more, before heading back towards the door, quietly muttering a, "Goodbye, Mr Ghost." May as well leave politely, he didn't particularly want a ghost to haunt him because he was rude. He didn't want to come back here again. Ever.