Chapter Eight

"Cal, wake up."

Someone nudges my shoulder.

I mumble something. I'm not even sure what. It's too early in the morning for me to be coherent.

But the nudging doesn't stop. It keeps going on and on and on till it feels like my shoulder's taking a beating. I want to shrug off whoever is hell bent on ruining my sleep, but the best I can do is grunt. I feel like a lump of clay.

"Get up or I'll leave you in the car, and you'll suffocate and die from lack of oxygen."

I loll my head away from the voice. "Shut up."

"Fine, you leave me with no choice."

A series of blaring honks explodes against my eardrums. I would've bolted out of my seat if it weren't for the seatbelt. "Goddammit, Zazo!" I duck and shove my hands against my ears as he keeps the centre of the steering wheel firmly pressed. "Cut it out!"

He doesn't.

"Do you have a death wish?"

Silence returns to the interiors of the car. I lean back and massage my temple. It feels like my brain just got hit by a sonic boom. I scowl at Zahaan.

It doesn't faze him. "A very good morning to you too. Now let's go."

I throw my head back against the seat. "Explain to me again why Deeds wanted to see us at six in the morning. Can't we do this at a more decent hour?"

Zahaan reaches into the backseat. "The man works in mysterious ways." He drops my team jacket into my lap. He's wearing a similar one. "I'll go in first and fix the horrible mood that I'm sure he's in. You can come in later to ruin it."

He pulls the keys out of the ignition, unlocks his side of the car and steps out. He ducks to look at me. "Don't take too much time." With that, he pushes the door shut.

I let out a massive yawn. Damn it. This healing shit has been zapping all the energy out of me. It's been a week since I was discharged, but I've been doing the same thing I'd do in the hospital – sleeping.

Sure, my body doesn't feel broken anymore and I don't have to hobble at a snail's pace when I need to take a leak. But what good is the relief of an empty bladder when I'm likely to end up snoring with my head planted in the toilet?

The air is cool against the bruises on my face when I get out of the car. Slinging the jacket over my shoulder, I slam the door shut. The quad is pretty empty. I spot a car or two parked at the far end and one parked five spaces from us. It's a sports car. One of those sexy flashy ones. Zazo's BMW is pretty sweet but sports cars are at a whole new level.

God, what I'd do to take it for a spin.

The door swings open. A leg sticks out. I see the red-hair before I see the girl's face, but by then I know who it is.

Ana hitches a duffel bag on one shoulder and bumps her door shut. The car beeps as she locks it. When she notices me, a smile makes its way onto her face.

I send her a brief nod. I probably shouldn't have done that because she walks over.

"Hey." She adjusts the bag strap on her shoulder. "What are you doing here so early?"

"I was about to ask you the same thing."

That earns me a sigh. "I'm not stalking you, Caleb. See?" She makes a sweeping motion at her outfit. I flick her soccer jersey a cursory glance.