Chapter Twenty

Unedited.

"Way to state the obvious. Sophie." Alvar said, even though the sharp edge on his tone stung, Sophie could tell he was hurt. He had been betrayed.

Sophie stared around the rolling hills, only a few trees stood, but not enough to hide in for long. Even if she would have run, she had no place to run too. Neither did Alvar. "If you could, would you escape?" She asked. Not a second, not a moment, not even blinking Alvar answered. "Yes."

"Would you leave me behind?" Sophie asked curiously as she soaked up the pale sun, that offered no warmth. "Would you escape? Would you run like me?" Alvar asked. "Yes." Sophie answered just as firmly. "Where would you run?" She asked Alvar. A blissful smile crossed his face as he stared out of the shield. "I'd run...I'd run and run until I couldn't run anymore. I'd run away from everything. I'd run from the Neverseen, the Black Swan, the Lost Cities. Everything." He sighed.

Sophie stared around the fields of green, that reminded her a lot of Havenfield. "People call that fear." She said bluntly. Alvar sighed. "There are two ways to deal with fear. Fear, everything, and run, or, face everything and rise. But the higher you go the harder you fall." Alvar looked down at Sophie. "You....you however take fear on with a third option no one knew existed. Face everything and run. You don't retreat, you just step back with purpose, you face things head on while running from some of the most pressing problems." Alvar sighed, and tilted his head back, letting the pale light shine on his head of dark hair. His eyes closed.

"You ever hear of the saying: fight or flight? Well we think you're flying away, what we never realized was you are flying to your fights, getting behind us, while still ahead of us, and knocking our teeth out of the back of our heads, with an angle we never saw coming." Alvar sighed and shook his head, before meeting Sophie's eyes. "You, are something impressive and confusing all at once. A puzzle."

Sophie watched as Alvar sat down in the grass. She copied him. "Will you run?" She asked. "How can I?" Alvar asked. "I'd just hit Ruy's shield."
Sophie realized and acknowledged her bad idea that had been forming since she had woken. She fully realized she could be walking into a trap, but she couldn't resist. "What if we could pass through it?" She asked. Alvar gave a sharp laugh, that rang through the air. Echoing around them and bouncing off the shield. "You've tried getting past those shields, and you couldn't... Even at Havenfield." He said.

"I let you both go." Sophie said. Alvar scoffed, "Trust me, nothing can get past those shields."

"What if something could?" Sophie persisted. Alvar looked over at her, as if realizing just what she was implying. "You think you can?" He asked. Sophie shrugged. "Maybe. But what did you even do to get in here?" She asked.

"I told Ruy I wanted out." Alvar rubbed his wrist. "I said I was finished with their dirty work. I told him I couldn't do it anymore. He ratted me out." Alvar's jaw set, "Tch! The one person I thought would never betray me, stabbed me in the back. I was so stupid to even tell him. I should have just escaped. I should have just left him behind." Alvar dug his fingers into his hair, pulling at the roots. "I hate having my memories wiped every night, and waking up wondering what terrible things I've done."

"Alvar?" Sophie asked. "What?!" He asked, his voice cracking, his teal eyes burning bright with tears. As he begged for direction or any kind of advice. "Alvar." Sophie said as she held her hand. "Let's escape." Alvar stared at her outstretched hand. Sophie was offering a truce, an agreement, and something that no one offered him before. An outstretched, helping hand. Alvar took deep breath and reached out. Shaking Sophie's hand.

~
"Sophie, wake up." Sophie's eyes snapped open instantly. Only a week had passed, to get their plan into place. Alvar was leaning over her, Sophie painfully rolled out of bed. She was still weak, but she knew she had to escape.