Prologue

The decision had been made. The choice of safety chosen over the choice of mystery. I thought I had made the right decision.  To be the promising prima donna, the mysterious rising star of opera. I thought I had made the right choice, concurring that Raoul was my fated childhood sweetheart, and that I was destined to be his wife,  his beloved Vicomtesse de Chagny. I don't regret regret my moments with Raoul or the fate that I attempted to save him from. If I did, he would not be free and in a way neither would I. But it’s that one word that is running through my mind.

Attempted

Even now as we row down the murky river, away from the dark haunted caverns beneath the opera house, that one word runs through my mind. The sounds of an angered mob fill my ears, their cries for vengeance and justice ringing against the ancient stone. Yet, even with their hateful jeers filling the caverns, I can distinctly hear the shatters and tinkling of glass as it crashes against stone. I glance over my shoulder, into the darkness behind, and am filled with an incomprehensible sense of longing.

Attempted

A word I can now synchronize to myself along with coward and regret.

(All material not created by me belongs to the creators of The Phantom of the Opera literature and film adaptations. Feedback is welcome! Hopefully you enjoyed the prologue and will follow the rest of the story).