Chapter 2

The original ride to the Chagny Manor had not been very long on horseback. Perhaps half a days ride in total. I had also paid very close attention to my directions and surroundings as we had traveled to Raoul’s home. I continued to steer the mare down the path that would lead me back to the heart of Paris, always keeping my senses open to every sight and sound. Extreme nervousness racked my body, with the knowledge that anyone within the city could recognize me from the opera house. My only advantage was the knowledge that my engagement to Raoul had not  even made public before the fire, so no one would think that I would be of any importance to the Vicomte.
    Once I had reached a far enough distance from the house, I spurred the mare into a speedy trot. Darkness still covered the outskirts of the city, but in the distance I began to see the first rays of the  sun peaking above the hills. This urged me to move more quickly, because of the awareness of how long Iago I had left the Manor. I could soon see the magnificent buildings that resided in town,  and I knew that I was quickly getting closer to Him.
     The sun continued to edge it’s way up into the lower regions of the sky as I made my way through the streets of Paris. Not many civilians were awake at this early hour, save for the bakers and shop keepers . I slowed the pace of my mare as the headline of the local newspaper jumped out at me from its stand.

EXTRA EXTRA! OPERA POPULAIRE REDUCED TO RUBLE AFTER CHANDELIER CRASH!

I quickly read through the short article underneath:
As a result of a horrendous crash of the establishments chandelier, the infamous Opera Populaire has been reduced to ashes from a raging fire. The inferno caused extreme damage to both the theater itself and the residencies within. The majority of the cast and crew working at the opera house survived the incident, however Paris authorities discovered that the two bodies found within the theatre following the fire were not deceased as a result of the flames. Instead they found lacerations to the necks of the bodies from what can assumed to be resulted from rope. Before the authorities could rule both accounts as suicides, multiple members of the opera came forth stating that ‘ the Phantom’ was responsible for both the fire and the lacerations. Authorities have yet to determine if these accusations are true. The disaster of the opera house has left citizens wondering: Was the raging inferno simply an accident or does Paris have a mysterious murderer running amuck?

The more that I continued to read, the more dread filled my stomach. From what it seemed, it didn’t sound like the authorities had any proof that the Phantom caused the fire. Relief began to replace the dread at the knowledge that his body hadn’t been one of those found after the fire. I quickly averted my gaze, and continued my truck down the main Boulevard.
The opera house soon came into my vision, and I began to slow the pace of my mare. Daylight was now quickly approaching, and I knew that the main entrance would either be blocked or I would be unable to use it. So, I began steering my mare towards the stables around the backside of the building. Once they came into view I quickly and quietly unlocked the door and peeked inside. Apparently the fired had not reached this spot yet, as I didn’t smell the stench of smoke and the frame and interior looked in well condition. I pulled my mare by her ferns into a stall and quickly shut the door once more. There was enough light leaking I  from a higher window that I was able to see. I let my mare settle in a stall, but I left the saddle restrained to her. If circumstances turned….unfortunate, I would be able to escape hastily.
  I turned away from the mare and noticed an old later resting against the stall. I picked it up and noticed that it still had enough gas in it to be lit. So I slowly turned the knob, and a small flame came to life. Now I would be able to have some illumination as I attempted to find my angel.
   I entered a back hallway, through the doors of the stable. The stench of burned wood filled my nose as I saw costumes, props and other elements we had used in the theatre, scattered and burned throughout the long hallway. Walking past such destruction made my eyes water, as memories flooded my mind. I continued to trek through the hallways, my feet overriding my brain, with the damage from the fire having little effect on my memory.
    Eventually I found the lead sopranos dressing room. I remember this room, from the one night I had earned the honor to call it my own. The night He had stolen me away and introduced me to his world of darkness below. A shiver runs down my spine, as I stroll towards the room, praying that it wouldn’t be locked. To my surprise, the door is already unlocked and open. I slowly step into the room, the ominous shadows of darkness bouncing off my lanterns light.
   I cannot see in great detail, but I can tell that the fire had indeed reached the interior. The scent of smoke was strong in this room and the velvet couches and vanities , once radiating with energy and vividness now lay burned, overturned, and lifeless. However, this is not what holds me captivated. Across the room, where the golden mirror once stood glowing and tall, was only the framing of the mirror. The glass that once was a barrier between me and my angel, between day and night, was now shattered. Laying in sharp shards upon the floor, exposing the tunnel of darkness that lay beyond.  The tunnel that would lead to the Phantom.
    As if in a trance, I begin walking towards the tunnel. If there is any direct way to find the Phantom, this would be it. This was the tunnel that led him to me, that stole me away from the light of day and harbored me to the darkness of night. I am careful to step over the sharp shards and keep my lantern in front of me. The hallway that once held glowing candelabras and radiated with music, now remained dark and silent. I continue to march forward and hope that I will not lose my will.
     Continuing, down the hallway I come to the ramp that I had ridden down with the phantoms on his midnight steed. Poor creature. Hopefully he had escaped from the fire or his master had set him free.  I continue down the ramp, before coming to the hidden pier. The gondola that we once rode no longer floats here. Sighing with defeat, I submerge into the waters, gasping from its frigid temperature. I keep the lantern high above my head so that the waters will not cease the flame.
    The water soaks my dress and cloak, making me feel a hundred pounds heavier. I quickly grow tired but I, use keep pushing forward if there is any chance of finding Him. Step by step, I make my way down the murky channel , that just two nights before I had been fleeing in the opposite direction.
    It feels as though I have been walking for hours. Perhaps I did not remember the route correctly. Just when I contemplate turning back, the fire of my lantern gleams off of something. I narrow my eyes, and can see that it is in fact…..metal. A metal gate. I quicken my pace, forgetting to remain silent as I splash eagerly towards the gate. It is shut. How am I to raise it when it’s lever is on the inside? I begin searching for a secret switch. Hoping that one of the phantoms many designs includes an outside hatch.
   Suddenly, the metal of the gate gives a groan and begins to rise. I stumble back and drop the lantern out of surprise. The flame sizzles and I am now immersed in darkness. The metal gate continues to groan, and rise until finally, it ceases with a loud CLANG!  I stand there, fearful and completely unaware of my surroundings. Tentatively, I step forward. The water slashes around my now soaked dress as I press forward.
   All is silent….all is dark. I can not see anything but pitch black shadows and can not hear anything but the sloshing water and my own heart beat pounding against my chest. I feel around my cloak, reach in the pocket, and pull out the knife that I had stolen. I free, feeling that I cannot continue to move forward. I turn, but nothing helps my vision in the darkness. My fear continues to grow until I am paralyzed by it. How can I go on? If I cannot see or hear a thing, how will I find him?
  Panic starts to set in my body, but suddenly an idea comes to mind. I take a deep breath and open my mouth: