Chapter 1

We finally reached the Chagny Manor after the treacherous escape from the opera house.  I don't know if anyone caught sight of us as we departed, but for the sake of the mob and that of Him, I surely hope someone did. Raoul had kept his horse tied just outside of the opera house, for a swift and convenient departure.  By this point, the house had been up in  flames for a sufficient amount of time, as a result of the terrifying crash of the chandelier. We made our escape on his horse around the mob that stood gazing in horrified awe at the blazing glory of a once prestigious land mark. We rode for many many miles before we finally reached his home.

      He swung over one side of the steed before landing beside me. He then reached up, grasped my waist, and pulled me down beside him. He kept one arm wrapped around my waist, and brought his other hand forward to grasp mine,  ringing it up to his lips and kissing it before stating in a reverent tone,

"We are free, little Lotte, finally free! Just you and me...."

He picked me up and spun me in a circle, making the now filthy white wedding gown billow around us like a snowy cloak.

"That monster will never reach us now, nothing will create a barrier for our love any longer.  He shall perish either by the hands of that raging mob or by the fire that will deliver him to the deepest pits of Hell".

This comment, filled with such vehemence and rage, causes a shiver of fear to run down my spine. Fear, not for what could have become of us, but what might become of Him. Raoul must mistake my shiver of fear for one of coldness, because the arm already around my waist tightens.

"Come Christine,  let me show you your new home.  For soon you shall become my Vicomtesse, and we shall be married and live happily with our family ".

At these words,  a rush of air runs to my head and I begin to sway on my feet.  Suddenly the air seems thicker and it becomes harder to breathe.  The ground rushes towards my face, but before I can take a hit,  Raoul catches me.

"Sleep, Little Lotte, " He says " you deserve peace at last ".

Blackness fills my vision, and my train of thought ceases as I fall into slumber.

____________________________________________

         My mind first acknowledges the voices that surround me. All women. I then next acknowledge that I am in a bed, comforters and soft pillows rest around me and I am filled with a sense of security.  Slowly I open my eyes, expecting to see Meg and the other ballerinas around me, but instead I see women dressed in uniforms of maids. I snap up in the bed and quickly scan my surroundings, noticing that this indeed was not the opera house.

"Good morning, madame. "

At the sound of that single voice, I turn my head and see three maids in the room bowing to me. They all raise their heads, and the one that spoke first speaks again.

"We were just delivering your breakfast and preparing your room. Is there anything in particular that you shall request?"

I gaze back at the woman for a few moments before answering.

"Could you please send for Raoul?"

She smiles kindly and replies, "But of course, madame. I shall fetch the Viscount  immediately."

All three women curtsy and leave the room.

I continue to sit in bed and contemplate the previous nights events. I rub my eyes with my hands, as they flash like lightning through my brain. Don Juan Triumphant.  The chandelier.  The fire. The caverns. The mob. All events connected and bring back one person to my memory. Him.