Aftermath and Recovery

The Shinsengumi banner for 'Sincerity' fluttered slightly in the morning breeze as it was held high while the entire company marched proudly back to headquarters together with their wounded. Even though they had just spent the night fighting fiercely to protect them, the townspeople gathered in the street stared at the blood-splattered warriors with open looks of fear and trepidation.

"That's the... Shinsengumi," one man said with a trembling voice as they passed.

Shinsengumi Headquarters,
Several weeks later...

A couple of sparrows could be heard chirping in the courtyard as Chizuru brought over a tray of medicine and water for the injured captains to take while Sumiko did her rounds checking the progress of the rest of the wounded. Okita and Heisuke had recovered enough to be out of bed.

"This is medicine," Chizuru said, smiling pleasantly, as she placed a packet and cup of water in front of San'nan-san as well.

"Oh, my. Am I taking it, too?" he asked. "The wound to my left arm has gotten better. Miyagawa-san removed the stitches yesterday."

"But Hijikata-san told me to bring it for you," she said. San'nan glanced at Hijikata and saw that he was staring expectantly at him, watching like a hawk, while he waited for him to take the medicine.

"San'nan-san. Let's just give in," Okita said, furrowing his brow as he swallowed the bitter medicine. San'nan smiled wanly as he reluctantly picked up the packet of powdered medicine.

"If the vice-commander orders it..." he said, furrowing his brow slightly, as he braced himself.

"Was this medicine specially prescribed?" Chizuru asked curiously.

"The Ishida medicinal powder?" Sano asked, knocking back some himself. "Well, yeah, I guess it's special."

"Ishida medicinal powder?" she asked. She couldn't recall having ever seen or heard of her father or Sumiko using it before. Was it new?

"Hijikata-san's family makes it," Okita said.

"That's right. If your body's been cut up, no matter how much it hurts, this'll heal you right up! That's Ishida medicine powder! C'mon, give it try!" Heisuke said animatedly, imitating the kind of sales pitch that might be used by a medicine seller. "I wonder how it really is..." he said, lowering his voice, as he opened his mouth wide and poured the medicine in. "Ugh! Gross!" he exclaimed, cringing at the bitter taste.

"Care to try me?" Hijikata asked darkly, raising his fist in a threatening manner. Heisuke had better finish taking it, or else...

"Eyah! G-Give me a break... I can't go getting' more injuries, can I!?" Heisuke exclaimed, shrinking back, as he rubbed his bandaged head, earning a laugh from the others.

"Yeah. It'd be a problem if you broke him after I went through so much trouble to fix him," Sumiko said as she entered the room, smiling wryly, as she sat down.

"It's not fair that you're the only one who gets out of taking it, Sumiko-san," Heisuke said, pouting slightly. It was only a minor cut to begin with, but for some reason, her wound had healed twice as fast as it should have.

"I guess it does pay to be a freak of nature sometimes," she replied with a cheeky smirk.

"It's good that it didn't leave a mark, though," Sano said, smiling. "It'd be a shame to scar a pretty face like that."

"I wouldn't have minded. I got wounded for a good cause, after all," she said, smiling. "Besides, aren't scars like badges of honor?"

"Oh! You said something manly again," Shinpachi said, grinning. "Maybe I should start calling you 'Aniki', too?"