Chapter 9

Settling down amongst the highest branches of the oak, Bonnie observed Freddy after he had got to the ground again. The brown bear's rucksack fell limply upon his t-shirt, all its contents consumed by her. The doe felt a rush of satisfaction with the knowledge that she would go to sleep on a full stomach once again.

Brown fur disappeared round the grey stone corner.
However, something still lingered in her mind, refusing to be left unheard. Giving in, the purple rabbit climbed and climbed until her head burst from the green canopy of rustling leaves. An afternoon breeze ruffled her fur and she closed her eyes, isolated in her thoughts.
I should be glad that he's gone, the lagomorph pondered. ...but I'm not. Just days ago she would have been overjoyed to see his small ears vanish after the delivery of food, but today had been different. Was it because they had sat together in the tree? Or perhaps it was because she'd found someone who shared her interests? Parting her jaws and baring her teeth, Bonnie growled at herself. Let him go! What did you do before he turned up, eh? That's right! You were solitary, with only your sorry self for comfort.

Abruptly, the purple rabbit threw her paws up into the air and let out a wail. It rang around the grassy area and seemed to bounce off the walls of the Texan street. Why did it have to be this way?

***

Goldie was waiting for Freddy when he arrived.
The bear was standing outside his friend's front door, shuffling his large feet and humming to himself. When he became aware of the brown bear's return, he smiled and began to walk up to him.
"D'yeh' have a nice time?" Goldie chuckled, putting an arm around his friend's back.
"I did, actually," Freddy told him. The happiness of his day with the purple rabbit was still fresh in his mind. "She showed me her guitar."
Goldie's mouth morphed into a grin and he winked, much to the confusion of the other bear.
"So...yeh' were alone with 'er whilst 'ah was gone, huh?" The golden male held Freddy's gaze.
The latter had promptly understood what Goldie was hinting at, and felt his cheeks begin to heat up. He frowned.
"Goldie! We both know that I don't, and wouldn't-"
"Heh heh heh. Come on, buddy, let's get inside."

After opening the door (it was already unlocked), the duo stepped onto the hard wooden floor of the hallway and took off both of their shoes. Freddy deposited his rucksack onto the bottom step of the stairs and turned to Goldie. "Wanna go back upstairs?"
"Of cour –" His friend was cut off. The golden-furred bear turned around, only to be met with Amanda's concerned expression.
"Where have you two been?" Freddy felt nervous, despite the interrogator being his mother.
"Well," he began, but was interrupted by the golden bear standing next to him.

Realisation hit the brown bear as if it were a cold slap in the face.
I forgot to tell Goldie that Bonnie wanted the meetings to be kept confidential!
"Me and Fred went teh' the grassy place, just down the street." Gesturing to Freddy with his elbow, he continued. "Fred wanted to meet up with his friend."
Freddy sighed with relief. He had quite a large amount of friends; Amanda wouldn't suspect anything.

"Which friend is this?" His mother furrowed her brows, perplexed. "You've never mentioned a friend at this...grassy place."
Freddy's eyes widened. "Oh...um..."
"His friend is a purple rabbit. She gets him to feed 'er."

No! Despair clawed at the brown bear. Now Bonnie's secret would be at the mercy of Amanda.
Jaws agape, she turned to her son. "What?"
"Mum, I'm sorry..."
"No, dear. Tell me more!"
"Well...I think she's been out there for weeks. At least it seemed as if that were the case."
"Where are her parents? Surely she has some form of carer?"
"She's alone, mum."

At Freddy's response, Amanda straightened herself up. In a frenzy of concern, she hastily beckoned the boys to follow. "We have to call the police! Come!"

All the brown bear could do was pursue his mother with Goldie. There was no going back now. Once mum finds out, there's no chance of stopping her.
After a rush through the downstairs level of his house, Freddy and Goldie halted beside the table in the sitting room. On it sat the main phone – coloured white with a long cord of the same colour. Amanda lifted it from its holder and dialled the police's number. The phone beeped for a second before a voice on the other end answered. The brown bear could just about make out what he was saying.

"Hello? Would you like the police, ambulance, fire service or –"
"Police, police!" Amanda squealed, clearly urgent to dispatch help for Bonnie.
"Alright. I will connect you now." The line went silent before static coming from the phone signalled another voice.
"Hello, miss. Where do you happen to be calling from?"
"M-My house, but my son has come home with reports of a purple rabbit seemingly living on her own out on the streets." She paused to catch her breath. "The area is j-just a little way down from 40 Cedar Green. Please hurry!"
"Don't worry. I am sending someone over now."
"Thank you so much."

Shakily, Amanda returned the phone to its place on the holder and turned back to the pair. "We have to go down there and greet the police. Freddy, you can tell them more."
"O-Okay," he replied.
"Can 'ah come?" Goldie's request took the brown bear by surprise.
"Of course you can," Freddy's mother replied, and the trio had burst out of the house soon after.