Chapter 1

It was December of 2013 and my wife, Karen, was 9 months pregnant with our son Max. That was when we decided to move from our apartment in New York City to a house in Long Island. We figured it'd be nice to have a real home and a neighborhood. We must've looked at a billion houses, but we couldn't agree on one. All we knew was that we wanted to get out of the city, but stay in New York, so we figured Long Island would be the right place to go. Karen and I have completely different ideas on what a good home is. She was telling me things like, "We need a place with extra rooms for guests and people. We need a place with safe neighbors. We need a place with a lot of space." It's not that I don't agree with what she was saying, but to me a good home is a simple home without all the extra rooms and big spaces. All I was looking for was something just to get us through the rest of her pregnancy and a good place to raise a child just for a year or so. Then, we went to this house and it was the perfect home on the outside and inside. It was simple just like I wanted, but also had enough to make Karen happy. The couple who owned it before us seemed happy and were very generous. The only problem was that I had a few suspicions. It almost seemed good to be true. It was only for $94,000 and the couple would refuse to tell us why they were selling it. I'm not saying that I didn't want a good deal on a ho me. All I'm saying is that if somebody's selling a house THAT good for THAT cheap, it's probably not what you think it is. However, when we couldn't find anything else that we could agree on, we decided to trust our knowledge on the house rather than trusting our gut... BIGGEST.MISTAKE.EVER.