The Hunt for Inanima

A/N: Nothing really. Thanks for reading! Much love. 

A crowd of people dressed in typical townsfolk fashion was gathered. Their clothing was mixed with dull colors of gray and white, a drastic difference from the nobles. They were all ushering quietly, an anxious tension filled the air, yet no one dared to raise their voice. It was probably due to the dozens of knights that surrounded them. 

The King had called for an audience with his people, but it was difficult for citizens who live far from the capital, Central City, to arrive in time for the announcement. Only a fraction of the human population was present at the center of the city. 

A trumpet interrupted everyone's thoughts, announcing the arrival of the King. A handsome man walked to the front of veranda causing heads to look up. His hair was shade mix with scarlet and brown, with a few spare grays here and there. Although he must be in his 40s, King Ackerman didn't look a day over 30. Many housewives were swooning internally at the sight of their King, causing many husbands to roll their eyes.

King Ackerman had a presence that causes people to become quiet and remain quiet. As crown prince, he led the human army to many successes, making him popular throughout the kingdom. This was no exception. 

"My dear citizens," he began, a deep voice that people can't help but pay attention to. "It is with great sadness that I announce that our great kingdom is in turmoil. Evil beasts have stormed in our home and many of our family have died because of these monsters. First, I want to give my condolences to those people." A few villagers let out a quiet sob at his words. 

"But we must not fall into fear. Second, our kingdom is currently in a state of emergency. I have called the army to surround the entire continent, preventing any more of these beasts from appearing. We do not know where these monsters are coming from and if any person is found cooperating with another race, they will be brought in for questioning." A few murmurs about the last statement came up, and the knights' shoulders were raised about another inch. 

"Finally, as experienced at the Bluebell Academy tournament, only magicians and warriors combined can defeat these monsters. As I speak, the principal of Bluebell Academy is dispatching a group of students to defeat the beasts. I am calling these beasts Inanima, meaning soulless." 

Meanwhile...

Inanima, huh? It looks like the King knows a little bit more than he's letting on. I was currently in the gymnasium of Bluebell Academy, which again, I didn't even know existed. Principal Ciel, a fitting name for his blue eyes, began outlining the plan that the King was announcing. 

"Based on what we witnessed a few days ago, these beasts can only appear when there is no sun. Otherwise, they will possess a human vessel to be able to withstand the light. Fortunately enough, with the help of student Camille Calvert," he nodded towards me, "we have found a way to defeat these Inanima. So far, these creatures seem to be mindless, without the ability to think. It is also easy to tell when someone's possessed. Their eyes are completely black and their bodies have been obviously injured because they're, you know, dead," the principal explained. 

I was itching for the diary-slash-ancient text hidden in my room. This was probably a good time to reread the book and search for any clues to expunge the creatures and prevent them from returning. Alas, that would be suspicious and I would probably be arrested and executed for just having the book in possession. Not to mention, I was still in a bit of pain from my injuries. Luckily, Alice has been healing me every day, quickening the pace of the reforming of my skin cells. Probably going to leave a scar though. 

The principal continued, "You will be divided into groups. Each group will be in charge of saving a village and remove the Inanima. Kill anyone who has been possessed on sight. In this situation, it is to kill or be killed," he finished in a grave tone. Coincidentally, Alice, Alex, Michael, and I were arranged into a single group. We will be exploring a nearby village. From the patterns of attacks, the beasts appeared within the capital, then started dispersing from there. Which means, the closer we are to the capital, the higher the number of attacks and casualties.