Chapter 6

Sparks Fly

Chapter 6

A rough wind hits my hair, sending it flying in crazy swirls. The sky is a sunset pink and almost . . . fake. I don't let that bring my spirits down.

A smile forms on my stiff lips as Don approaches me. I gasp when I see him and nudge Jordan. "D-Don," I whisper to her, unbelievingly. My heart is pounding against my ribcage. Jordan nods acceptingly. I furrow my eyebrows in disbelief at her acceptance. I don't waste any more time and run with all my might. My muscles feel weak, and my knee twists. I yelp in pain as my bandage falls of my knee. Blood pours excessively out of my leg. Don isn't making any effort in running like I am. 

Just as my hand reaches out to Don, things become foggy. I feel like a million pounds. I can't talk. Don turns around and walks away.

"Don!" I cry, grabbing onto his arm. My hand goes right through it. My stomach flips at my surprise.

The world turns. I close my eyes from the pressure on my head. My eyes flap open then closed in a repetitive manner. I close my eyes hard this time, opening them a moment later.

I'm not in the serene, grassy field anymore. Instead I'm at the scene I never wanted to return to.

The sky is dark and clouds are bunched together. Dad is standing at the end of the pier.

When I become conscious of the scene, tears immediately cover my face. My father runs up to me faster than anyone could in reality. I become aware of my dream, but that doesn't cut it off. My hands become smaller and my body shrinks. I am thirteen again.

Dad's big hands grab my face. Tears streak my cheeks. My father wipes them away, pinching my cheek in the process.

"Don't cry, kid, after I die, take care of Don, tell your mother I love her. I love you."

Thunder hits. I squeal. Dad leaves me standing like a pole. Lightning strikes. It doesn't rain. He stands at the edge of the pier again, opens his arms wide, embracing the rainless storm.

I don’t want to watch again, but for some reason, I can’t turn around. I can’t do anything as the lightning hits. It strikes my father, leaving him lifeless. His weak body falls into the ocean silently.

I blink awake. Jordan’s foot is two inches away from my chin. Blankets are toppled over my face messily. I slowly sit up, wincing from the jetting pain of my knee. My tremulous fingers push against the bed, supporting me in my sitting position.

Isabel is sprawled over the floor with a thin, white blanket covering her. She was nice enough to offer to sleep on the floor while Jordan and I got the bed.

I rub my eyes then look over to the glow-in-the-dark clock. It reads: four-thirty. I decide to go back to sleep. I need the energy.

Just as I close my eyes, I feel an odd falling sensation and jump up. I’m wide awake after the jump, so I decide it’s time to get up.

I wobble off the bed weakly, barely seeing anything because of the darkness outside. The floor is cold and sends my hairs rising. When I reach the foot of the door, I look back at the room and listen to Isabel’s steady breathing.

Something is wrong, I notice as I turn around the room.

“You up for breakfast?” Cliff’s voice comes from behind me. I whip around quickly and give him an evil look.

“You scared me,” I sigh, walking up to him. His arms are crossed over his chest. His eyes are examining me. I look down at my outfit. “Yeah, I like baggy clothes.”