Chapter 9

Sparks Fly

Chapter 9

My sleep is dreamless, filled with a void gnawing at my brain. My vision is fuzzy as I stir, taking in my surroundings. The room can’t be darker. A sound of snapping fingers before my face fills my sensitive ears. I gain concentration and take a deep, energetic breath. Isabel takes my hand without waiting for my approval, and pulls me off the couch, a light blanket falling from my body.

M feet totter gently towards her side, and I don’t intend to pick a fight as to why she forcibly pulled me from my sleep.

“Tristen,” Isabel’s voice comes out snappy and quick. My eyes scan over her light ones, catching the rage in them. “You have to cooperate.” She pushes me to Lorcan, smirking on the way.

“We decided we’re not going to let you be the dictator here. This is our place, and we rule it. We have control over you.”

A spark of enmity sizzles deep within me, but I don’t let it rule my emotions. I hide my frustration deep inside where it will only, and will forever be only left inside deep inside me

I look up to Lorcan, examining his fair face structure. His face is contorted into a grim frown.

“Everything’s going to go our way,” Lorcan hisses. This is the first time seeing him mad. For some reason this gets me a little uncomfortable.

“What do you want me to do then?” Each of them throws me wretched glares, each one sharper than the other.

“You have to follow orders,” Lorcan says through gritted teeth, walking away from me. “If I tell you to patrol, you patrol. If I tell you to use your power to fight the enemy, you use your power to fight the enemy,” his voice rises. “If I tell you you’re not allowed even think of your brother, then damn it, you’re not allowed to!”

His voice echoes throughout the room as my skin crawls. I don’t allow the threatening tears to fill my eyes.

Everyone is motionless, just waiting for Lorcan’s next move. His back is slumped, his head lowered.

I flinch when I realize his hand is inching towards my shoulder. I make an effort and don’t pull back when he rests his hand stiffly on my shoulder. He doesn’t connect his glance with mine.

My stomach whirls as thoughts swarm like bees in my head. Is he going to hurt me? Is he going to say something even worse than before? What should I do?

I act swiftly and out of instinct, hitting his hand off my shoulder. His shocked eyes widen as I turn around, facing Ace. His hands are crossed against his chest firmly, giving me a look that says I’ve no way out.

Persistent hands grab me tightly from behind, pulling me against his or her chest.

“ARE YOU LISTENING?” Lorcan shakes me, and a gasp escapes my lips. “Don’t walk away! Come here, and face me!”

I fall limply to my knees, my knees hitting the rough, carpeted floor. Lorcan falls with me, letting go of my arms. My attempt to crawl away slips away as a failure as Lorcan topples down next to me.

“Are you listening to me?” Lorcan hisses, clawing at the carpet.

No one restrains us from our fight. They just watch.

“Are you?”

My muscles relax as I close my eyes, pouting softly. No. I’m not listening to you. I don’t want to.

As much as I’d like to retort, I catch my tongue in time. Lorcan brings a shivering hand to my cheek, panting on the way.

“Lor—”