Chapter 2

-Phil's Point of view-

 -------

 I thought I heard my name be called out, but when I turned my head, I couldn't see anyone who seemed to have. Besides, I was running late to work. I rushed to the underground and jumped on a train. No seats were available so I just hung onto the railing squished between a fat lady and another buisness man. He nodded slightly when I cast a glance in his direction. Then, something caught my eye just across from me. A girl with short blonde hair cut in a fringe was sitting with headphones in. she seemed to be ingrossed in her phone. She was wearing a danisnotonfire and amazingphil tshirt. I smiled. The girl looks up momentarily at me then continues what she was doing until she realizes who she saw and squeals. she jumps off her seat to give me a hug. I may be a successful anchorman, but I will never turn down a hug from a fan. She talks in a blur -

 "ohmygodphilicantbeleiveitsyouiloveyoucanyousignmyphoneandcanwetakeaselfieyouremyidolistillwatchyourvideos"

 I could hardly understand her but I laughed and signed her phone. She squeals with delight.

 "Where's Dan?"

 I froze. Where was Dan? I haven't seen him for years. Oh God, I haven't even spoke to him since we went seperate ways. I felt a guilty pressure in my chest as all the memories flooded back. I stared at the girl. My face was growing hot and I could feel it. I gripped onto my briefcase with white knuckles and gulped. Before I could answer, the train stopped and I said goodbye to the girl. She looked concerned but said goodbye nonetheless. I stepped onto the street and suddenly the world seemed a huge and lonley place. I had no idea where he was. I missed Dan so much. I felt a knot in my stomach. Does he remember me? Of course he did. But how could I be so selfish in my own success to forget the person that had meant so much to me just a few years ago? I tried to justify myself. So much had happened in the la- no. I could not deny this anymore. I needed to find him.

 Pete, my manager rushed to me as I walked into the door.

 "Phil! Where in gods’ name have you been? You're nearly five minutes late! We have to get started!" his eyes skittered around nervously and he walked quickly on short legs. I nodded vaugley and handed my coat to the coat check. I reached up to untie my scarf from my neck but my fingers only scraped the bare skin of my neck. I must have dropped it in all the chaos of the underground. I shook my head and adjusted my blazer before stepping into the broadcasting room. I was "fixed up" and rushed to start. I tried to clear my mind and concentrate, but I could not rid of the nagging thought lodged in the back of my head.

 -------

 I pulled my wallet out of my back pocket and payed the heavyset lady on the other side of the counter for a turkey sandwich and water. She impatiently grabbed the money and called for the next customer. It was lunch break so I sat down with my collegues in the cafè in the mall across from the broadcasting building.

 They talked amongst themselves but I wasn't listening. I pulled out my phone. When I got the new iphone, they hadn't transferred all my contacts, so I didn't have Dan's number. He deactivated his twitter and tumblr also, which I didn't understand why. I frowned. How was I supposed to find him now? I miss him so much. So much. Every time I think about it, a stabbing pain spreads throughout my chest.

 "Phil, are you ok?" asked Tori. "You seem... not yourself today." No. I.was not ok. "Yeah. Guess I'm just tired." After a while, we started back to the building. I tried to hold on to the last fiber of hope that I would find him. I walked through the courtyard and then on the pavement in front of the broadcast building. A paper, folded three times, was tossed by the wind towards me until it wedged itself in between my shoe and the ground, struggling against the breeze. I was about to lift my foot dismissivley, but something snagged my attention. My name was scrawled across top fold in angular letters. I carefully pried the flimsy paper off the ground and stared at it, turning it over in my hands. of course I'm a bit skeptical of it, so I looked around. The street was relatively empty. I tucked the note into my pocket and ran into the building.

 Concentrating on my job was not easy. The mysterious paper seemed to burn a hole through the fabric of my blazer, dying to be opened and read. It would have to wait until I get home.