Ch. 4

"Richard, honey!" Richard's mother called him from downstairs.

"I'll be right back!" Richard quickly scurried out the door.

I hope I really haven't upset him I thought to myself. I continued to look around his room as I sat on his bed. I thought I had it so difficult when I came here. Sometimes it just takes one person to change how you view everything else.

A few minutes later, Richard came back into the room with a smile on his face.

"Me mum was wondering if you would like to stay for supper."

"Oh wow...I would love to, but I think I'd have to talk to my parents about it first, if that's alright. I'm sure it would be a yes though." I smiled back at him. Dinner already? Are we dating?

"Lovely. By the way Cinnie, there's something I need to warn you about my family." Richard sat back down onto his bed. I got nervous as all heck, and he must've noticed right away because immediately he had to assure me that it wasn't anything extreme, like that they were undercover criminals. "Although that would be something. No, what I want to tell you is that my father isn't really my father...he is my stepfather. Just so you don't get confused or anything really."

"Oh...of course Richard. No problem." I placed my hand on his back. He smiled at the gesture.

"Cin, I have to hear more about your life in New York!"

"My life in New York...well..."

I spent the next hour telling him all about my parents being from Liverpool but leaving for better job opportunities, how they had me in the midst of it, how I was known to my friends as the one with the British parents, how I never had a yard until now, and how I have braces for my teeth, which in the UK are used to hold up trousers.

"What I miss most though are my friends. I don't know if I can ever talk to them. Sure, we can send letters, but that's not enough. They can never pay to see me, and vice versa." I was sad suddenly, and I could tell Richard felt guilty for bringing it up.

"Hey, if I had enough money saved up for you, I'd pay for you to go see your old friends." Richard half smiled. I gave a slight one back. I looked over at his wall and read the time on the clock.

"It's almost 6:30 already? Maybe I should head home, since my parents will be back soon. I can ask about eating over then, alright?" I stood up, as did Richard, and he walked me to the front door. "Richard?"

"Yes?"

"I have to hear more about your life when I come back!"

"Of course. I'll see you soon." Richard waved to me as I started walking towards the sidewalk. I waved back and smiled.

Time for a million and one questions from my parents.