Chapter Five: No Deaths Allowed

Oh -- by the way. The first two chapters have undergone a bit of a rewrite. I needed to make Nicky older for this story to work with the timeline of the movies. Sorry about that, guys! And don't be weirded out if we see Nicky again and he's highschool age; I promise I'm making him that age in chapters one and two!

Ahk gave Larry and incredulous look. "You didn't even tell her about the lions? This is her third night, for heaven's sake!"

Larry groaned, passing a hand over his face. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. I'm trying to ease her into this."

My face was burning, but not with embarrassment this time. "Excuse me?" I took a step towards Larry, my expression furious. "There are lions here and I never knew about that? There are lions here and I never knew about that?!?!?!?!"

He took a step back, intimidated. "Uhhh....."

"There are lions here and you didn't know about that." Ahk supplied helpfully, since Larry wasn't speaking up.

"AAAAARGH!" I groaned, grinding my heel into the floor in frustration. "Why doesn't anyone tell me the important stuff? In the job description, does it say, 'warning: there are lions' anywhere????? No! Did Larry ever tell me anything about this job before I came? NO! Are there any other dangerous things I should know about?" My gaze burned into Larry's. "For your sake, the answer better be NO!

He backed away a little more, eyes wide. "Wow, Emily. I..."

"You what?" I was not happy. "Do you have an excuse? Are you trying to make me not angry with you? I can tell you one thing. It's NOT gonna work!"

Larry shot Ahk a look that all too plainly said, Save me from this crazy woman.

Ahk touched my shoulder lightly. "Hey, Emily. Calm down. It's okay. It's gonna be fine, okay?" He took hold of my shoulders and turned me so I was looking at him. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." I mumbled. "Just tired of not being told stuff." I shot another glare at Larry.

"Whoa." Ahk stepped between us. "I know how you feel, Emily, but we can't afford to have this conflict right now. Or else, I might be as mad at Larry as you are." He shot Larry a look, then turned back to me. "But please, let's hold this off until later. If the lions are out..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "This is going to be a long night."

* * *

"All right." Larry fixed each of us with a serious look. Ahk and I exchanged glances as he focused his gaze on Rexy, then Dexter, too. "Here's the plan. Rexy will block off one side of the hallway. Ahk, you'll block off the other. I know the lions won't necessarily obey you, but they seem to understand and respect that you're the reason they come to life. I don't think they'll hurt you."

Ahk nodded.

Larry met my eyes. "Emily. You and I will be herding them as best we can. I know it's dangerous, but it's our only shot. Dexter, you need to-"

Dexter interrupted Larry by sticking his tongue out and blowing a very loud razzberry. He seemed contemptuous of the plan.

"Fine." Larry exhaled, frustrated. "You won't do anything. You're our moral support."

Dexter seemed satisfied with this. At least, he didn't object with any other rude behaviors.

I raised my hand.

"Yes, Emily?" Larry sighed. "We're not in a classroom, you know. You don't need to raise your..."

I shut him up with a glare. "Why am I herding? I know absolutely nothing about lions. They'll probably eat me, and then you'll suffer from the tragical lack of a nightguard."