Chapter Nine: "Hi. I'm your new partner."

What was wrong with me?

Dressing up. For work.

Okay, not really dressing up. But I had made an effort to put on nice clothes and brush my hair and -- horror of horrors -- I was even wearing makeup

I never wore makeup.

And all for what? Not some special occasion. Not for a party. Not for some date. Not for anything out of the ordinary.

For work.

"Uuuuugh!" I groaned, staring at the mirror in frustration. "Who cares what you look like for work, Emily? The only people who are gonna be there are Teddy and Rexy and Sacagewea and Jed and Octavius and... Ahk...." My voice caught on the last name.

"Ahk." I mumbled, staring at my reflection. "Is that who you're trying to impress, you stupid, stupid girl? A two thousand year old pharaoh from Ancient Egypt?"

Yes, I talk to myself.

Don't judge.

"What is wrong with you?" I shouted, glaring at myself in the mirror. "You stupid, foolish... UGH! I can't believe you."

Somehow, my brain couldn't help but try to justify what I was doing.

And why not? He's kind. Funny. Ever so handsome....

My stomach fluttered at the thought of him.

"What? WHAT? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME?" My voice was so loud it hurt my own ears.

I couldn't deal with this right now. I couldn't feel like this. It was pointless!

"You are incredibly stupid." I mumbled to my reflection, turning away. "Dressing up for a guy who can never be anything more than a friend. Shame on you!"

The corner of my eye caught on the clock, and I started in horror and surprise. "Now look what you've done! You're going to be late!"

Muttering under my breath, I grabbed my keys and hurried out to the car, almost running over a stray cat/crashing into a lamppost as I wheeled crazily onto the road. I reached the museum at 9:11 and groaned at myself in frustration. Eleven minutes late wasn't too bad, but I couldn't make a habit of this.

The last museum visitors were leaving, and I burst through the doors quickly, hurrying to the main room as the museum emptied.

I was alone.

Or so I thought.

Just then, I heard a noise behind me. I whirled around and shrieked in surprise as my eyes caught on someone who'd been walking up behind me.

He looked almost exactly like Ahk, but his clothes were modern and his eyes seemed to be a lighter color. I stared at him, heart pounding, and pushed away the inner fangirl inside me, even though he was rather attractive. The sun hadn't set yet. What was going on?

"Ahk...?" I asked hesitantly.

The young man laughed and shook his head, taking a step closer. I backed away slightly. "Hey," he said by way of greeting. "I'm your new partner."

__________________________________

Dun dun DUUUUUUUN....

And the drama begins.

The excitement hasn't really even started yet. Juuust wait till things start to thicken up.

Thanks for reading, you guys! Have an amazing day!!!