Chapter 2 - Aelin

Aelin's mind was in utter chaos. Wyrdmarks. Wyrdmarks. She hadn't been able to decipher much of them before Rowan had dragged her from the cave, but what she had read didn't offer much of an indication as to what was down there. Though there was no doubt in her mind that the source of the power and the Wyrdmarks were related; perhaps one was a result of the other. Most of it was jumbled and incoherent, the intricate patterns of the Wyrdmarks confusing the language structure. But that only flared her curiosity even further. She knew better than to push Rowan to go back and explore so soon after they'd fled, especially since he had not stopped glaring at the cave entrance once they'd walked to what he deemed to be a safe distance away.

Rustling in the forest to her right revealed Aedion with Lysandra in her ghost leopard form. Dorian and Manon had arrived in Orynth a week ago on their annual royal visit, while Chaol had remained in Rifthold to oversee the court and take care of a heavily pregnant Yrene. The party had moved to Elide's manor once Dorian's excitement over the newly restored Library of Orynth had been sated. The autumnal day was perfect for a hunting trip, but by midday, they'd left Kasida and Abraxos along with the other horses near a stream and had continued on foot in favour of a simple walk. That was when they'd sensed the power rippling through the mountains. Aelin had wanted to investigate first with the others more inclined to hang back, although her beloved cousin never strayed too far from her side. Not after what had happened with Maeve.

Four more figures pushed through the dense pine forest into the clearing: a furious Lady of Perranth slung over Lorcan's shoulder, Manon in her signature Crochan cloak, and the King of Adarlan.

Aelin grinned as Elide continued protesting to being carried by Lorcan, the warrior eventually setting her down gently while a dark tendril of magic coiled around her mangled ankle.

"I can walk just fine, you big oaf!" The ebony-haired woman scrunched up her delicate hands and scowled at her companion.

"Not compared to the rest of us. If I'd left you to your own devices, you'd still be 3 miles away. Or eaten by bears." Lorcan casually gestured to her crippled leg, but there was a protective undertone to his laid-back response. Manon bared her iron fangs, and vicious talons slid out from her nails.

"You forget, Demi-Fae, that Elide's blood runs blue. She is not to be underestimated," Manon snarled. Lysandra growled softly, warning the witch to back off. Manon grimaced but stepped away, a tender touch from Dorian soothing her enough such that her iron weapons eased back into hiding.

"The real issue here is that." The king's brows knitted together as he glanced towards the cave, "Aelin, did you get any indication as to what is in there?"

"Wyrdmarks. A whole rutting lot of them. Rowan and I didn't get very far inside until he got scared and ran out." Aelin winked at her mate, earning herself a withering look.

"Could you read any of it?" Her cousin asked. He seemed different, stronger in the country than he did in Orynth as if the Wolf of the North was back in his natural element.

"A little. There was something about a basin or crucible... And mention of a Book. That's all I got, the rest of it was too complicated." If only Nehemia were here, Aelin nearly blurted out. She checked herself and turned to Lysandra, "I need you to shift into something with good night vision and scout out the cave. I would ask Rowan but he seems too engrossed in his swords to be any help." She decided to spare her mate from another jab at his swift exit from their investigation. He didn't look up at the mention of his name, but she knew from the upward twitch of his mouth that he heard her.

Lysandra nodded fiercely, and in a blinding flash shifted into a massive owl. She circled once overhead and then flew into the gaping mouth in the cliff.

***

Please vote/comment!