Chapter 30

When his eyes focused, his speed demon heart almost stopped. He had finally found Jonathan, and despite what he expected he wasn't prepared.

The room was dark, and huge. A few crates off to the side made it seem like a regular warehouse, but toward the centre there was a raised area, like a stage.

A small overhead lamp cast a dull glow above it, reflecting off a dark liquid on the floor that Evan chose to ignore. Dull chains hung from somewhere on the ceiling, and shackled to them was Jonathan.

He looked worse than Evan had ever seen him. After living with Jonathan, he had quickly realized that he didn't eat a lot, which was partially why he was so short.

He made it his job to try and fatten him up a bit, and he liked to think it had been working. Now however, he was so thin it was sickly.

His pale skin was marked in dark bruises, ranging from yellow to shadowy purple and blue. His ribs jutted out, and one was crooked, jagged. His eyes were closed, and he didn't react when Evan slowly stepped closer.

"J-Jon?"

He was trying to be quiet, but even though his voice had been barely above a whisper it echoed against the dark walls. He saw Jonathan's hand twitch, and he made his way closer, putting his hand softly on his chest.

Dark eyelashes fluttered open, and Evan gasped. The beautiful blue eyes he adored were now almost grey, nowhere near their usual sparkle.

"Nngh..."

Evan put a finger to his lips. Speaking seemed to great a task, and his chest seemed to collapse upon itself with each shuddering breath he took in.

"Jonathan, I'm here. We're gonna get you out of here, alright baby? E-everything is gonna be fine."

Jonathan groaned again, and it was then that Evan realized that something was wrong. His eyes were foggy, almost like steam on a mirror, and his pupils were not dilating.

Evan's breath quickened, his body shaking in fear, worry, and buried anger. Please, please not Jonathan. Don't do this to us...

He clenched his eyes shut, and took a breath. He had to know if it was true.

"Jonathan? Here, j-just look at me. Look at me."

Jonathan lifted his head slowly, but his gaze went through him. His eyes moved frantically, straining, but he didn't register his lover, even though he was right in front of him. Jonathan was blind.

Part of Evan's world shattered. He had gotten here too late. He had let that, that monster get to Jonathan. He had to get him out of here.

He reached up to the shackles, his desperate fingers trying to find a keyhole. But there wasn't one. There was metal encircling the entire band, and he felt something warm and wet on Jonathan's wrists.

Disturbed, he fumbled around in the pocket of his red jacket, subconsciously remembering when he had first met Jonathan. He found the pocket knife and once again used the saw.

The sound of the metal slowly being worn away was like a siren in the silence, and he grit his teeth. After an eternity, he finally broke through one of the shackles, and Jonathan's limp hand fell on his shoulder.

He let his lips brush Jonathan's forehead in brief encouragement, and he started the other one. Despite the exhaustion evident on his figure, Jon's arm was still and unmoving.

He wished he had brought Tyler, or at least someone else, but he didn't regret leaving early. Who knows what would've happened if he had waited just an hour long- 

No.

The metal shattered, and his knife was useless. He felt his sanity wear thin, and tears began rolling down his face. He began scratching at the metal, ignoring how it bit into his skin. He needed to help Jonathan, to get them away from this place.

It was no use. The metal was still thick despite him having worn it down halfway, and there was nothing he could do. Jonathan, as though sensing his distress in his half-aware state, moved his arm.

The movement was slow, and at first Evan didn't notice. But when soft skin circled around his neck, he looked up. The sight of Jonathan's beaten face almost let the pain consume him again, but he needed this.

He moved ever so carefully to wrap an arm around Jon's waist, his other arm putting Jonathan's head into the book of his shoulder. He stayed there, running his fingers through the matted hair, crying silently as daylight began to filter in from behind, projecting his shadow onto the floor.

Wait. There were no windows, so how could...Suddenly, Jonathan's grip tightened and he started to shake violently, almost causing Evan to lose a hold of him.

It was then, in an instant of startling telepathy, that Evan knew. Luke was here, and he had to do everything he could to protect Jonathan.