#17: The Wicked Witch

Starting with the famous novel then turned into iconic movie "The Wizard of Oz", witches have been a popular choice to be the main villain.  With black cloaks, mischievous cats, and dangerous potions, they are easy to make opposite of the main character's morals.  Book after book, witches have been defeated or even killed left and right all for the use of an easily and lazily written villain.  Not all examples are bad, but making the witch the bad guy is completely overused and quite honestly in my opinion a little unethical.  People labeled as witches were persecuted multiple times in the past.  With notorious cases such as The Salem Witch Trials, many unfortunate woman found themselves needlessly killed after they were accused of being witches.  After being used as the villain too many times in literature and even in real life, I say it is time to end this cliché.

  The best way to stop yourself from creating another Wicked Witch of the West clone is to simply try to make the supernatural humans more complex.  With relatable worries and doubts, readers will be attached to the character better than before.  In fact, not writing them as the villain helps to expand the opportunities of making a more memorable witch character.  The Wicked Witch of the West had this happen to herself in the fan fiction book turned into Broadway Play "Wicked".  In there, the witch character is presented as a persecuted member of society all because she was born different.  You easily sympathize with her, making the journey with the character from her early years in college to the most wanted figure in OZ the more memorable.  There is a reason the entire story is remembered fondly, despite being a tribute to the original "Wizard of Oz" book. 

  However, do not fall into the trap of making the character too nice as well.  Even though a Good Witch of the North is a nice cliché breaking idea, making the character have only the trait of being friendly is a potentially terrible idea.  Just balance the character out and everything should go fine.