007. with me, that is

🍂 Visit 4

MERIDA CONSIDERS everything she knows about Elsa so far: her name, she researches flowers in her spare time (oddly, both specific and convenient), knows basic Norse mythology (Merida should most definitely not find this hot), likes wildflowers, and is allegedly into a guy obsessed with ice (but Eret talks a lot of shit). It's not a lot, she concludes, this is ridiculous.

     She thinks it's enough to stay friends with though, as friendly as she can with a regular. And unlike what she'd typically do, she accepts her fate.

     Merida continues toying with the sticker behind the till when the store bell chimes and the familiar combination of air and light flow in like a good omen.

     When she looks up, Elsa is already frozen looking at her while a bouquet of purples and pinks rest on her arms. Huh?

     Someone else is with her, another girl with similar features, her sister, probably? She takes a quick scan of the shop and instantly gasps upon seeing Merida, smiling brightly.

     Excitedly, she looks back at Elsa and is about to say something when the blonde quietly shuts her up. This is when she finally breaks away from looking at Merida, who decides to look down if her clothes actually have something like a stain on them. She did just finish eating doughnuts.

     "Go!" Merida hears from the sister. "I'll be here, supporting you."

     "Just . . . browse for flowers. Please." And just as her sister is about to do just so, she grabs her arm quickly in panic. "Wait! What do I say, though?"

     "Elsa, you've lost sleep over this. Just ask her. You can do it."

     There were also words mentioned in-between but Merida could not hear them.

     All of a sudden, every single one of her ridiculous thoughts of being shallow for liking her flew through the open door at the sight of Elsa, who looks different, like she's about to combust, where her usual elegance is veiled with nerves, she marches all the way to Merida's desk.

     Merida smiles sheepishly and begins saying the routine, "It didn't work out?" Accompanied by I can't believe you're still asking this shop for bouquets when all my arrangements have been failing, Thor Almighty in her thoughts.

     She notices the bouquet is of orchids and camellias. Huh?

     All Elsa does is take a deep breath, look into her eyes, and –  "Would you like to get coffee some time?" She pauses accidentally and realises something. "With me, that is. Coffee with me."

     In the background, her sister fails to suppress an amused snort.

     Merida's dumbfounded. Did she hear it right? No. Surely, her brain's just getting ahead of herself like always. Surely, Elsa already has someone else. Surely, she didn't just hear her ask her out. Why would she? What is this?

     "You want . . . to get coffee? With me?"

     "Um, yes," Elsa replies. "Unless you prefer tea? Or, oh! I know this great place that sells Mediterranean food by — um, I can deal with whichever." Another realisation, she gives the bouquet to Merida. "These are for you."

     Merida's still too shocked to respond properly. "You're . . . asking me out, like on a date?" She tries to tie things together (frankly, they're not making sense): Elsa is into Ice Lad, Elsa gave her flowers, Elsa . . . also likes her apparently? And finally, unfortunately, she's not a fan of sharing. Or boys.

     Elsa must have noticed Merida's change of expression, because something comes to her like a horrible epiphany. She sinks down slowly, losing color, and pulls back the bouquet. She's subtle in expressions, but the air surrounding her is anything but. "Uh" — she hesitates — "yes. That is, unless you don't want to, because — "

     "I'm not — " Merida can't find the words. "I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable with . . . um, — "

     Elsa tries to regain her structure. "Oh! You're not — ?"

     Merida thinks she might be seen as close-minded or something. Sure, she supposes she'd try sharing if boys weren't involved. She just can't be something she isn't. She doesn't know how to explain this, preoccupied with how much she's messing things up, and only says, "No, don't get me wrong, I'm not judging those who are — or, do it — but I'm just . . . not one of them, I suppose."

     What an ugly scenario: everything Merida says just worsens Elsa's mood.

     The girl looks down briefly and furtively purses her lips, biting them before looking around the shop, looking for a segway.

     Merida presses her lips together and looks around as well. The sister is looking at them now, watching every word, every fallen expression. Unable to think of anything else, she breaks the unbearable silence. "Would you like another bouquet?"

     Elsa looks at her with wide eyes that seem so barricaded yet somehow so . . . vulnerable. "Huh? Oh, no. He got the message. Thank you — I also apologise for assuming and making you uncomfortable, it's just, I thought — Sorry, I should go." She laughs. "I'm meeting a client, too, and . . . uh, – "

     And before Merida could even protest, Elsa leaves the shop with her sister left behind. She looks at Merida with concern and surprise before following the former out.

     Merida felt a part of her go missing when Elsa left. It's a familiar loss; it's what she felt when she turned down horseback for dressmaking in high school when she turned down eating with Hiccup to manage the shop's accounts.

     Rare are the occasions when she admits that she's used to this feeling (she learned how to mend her clothes, the shop isn't falling back on funds), but something else is pressing: guilt, for not saying anything to Elsa and just leaving her with rejection.

     Merida goes outside for some air. To her right on the trash bin, she sees the orchid-camellia bouquet lying limp atop dried leaves, paper cups, and old receipts.

     She picks them up and sighs.

_____________________________________

A/N: s what do y'all think of elsa? of merida? what'll happen next? what do u call a ruined arrangement? brouquen. ily'all every single comment / vote makes me smile so hard omg ahhh 💖💖💖