7 | Chinese Dragon

7 | C h i n e s e  D r a g o n            

         “I got us more beer!” Nate called out as he appeared at Aiden’s side with two bottles of Heineken. His ever-present smile was plastered on his face as he handed his friend a beer.

            “Thanks,” Aiden replied dryly. He had tried his best to not disappoint Nate but this party was too much for his liking. Loud vulgar music blared through speakers that Aiden didn’t even know he had. There were over fifty people in his house who were all around his age --early 20s. He didn’t know that this many people lived in this town. “You said there was going to be ten people!” he shouted over the music.

            “There was,” Nate shouted, “but those ten people must have told ten more people. And those people told ten more people and...” His worlds trailed off, "You know."

            Aiden snuck a glance at Nate. He didn’t want this at all, but he wanted to fit in and feel like he belonged. If this was what it took, then so be it.

            “Hello,” a dainty female voice’s said, “mind if we join you guys?”

            Nate glanced at his friend before giving the two females in front of him, his full attention. “No, not at all,” he answered her, handing the smallest of the two, his beer.

            The taller one rolled her eyes, shooting daggers at her friend once their eyes met. She flashed her eyes to the left, looking at Aiden. She could tell that he felt uncomfortable.

            The other friend tossed her straight jet black hair over her shoulder, exposing a dark jagged line that circled into another line along her neck. It was a tattoo in the shape of a Chinese dragon. “I’m Leslie and this is my best friend, Tasha.”

            “I’m Nate, and this is Aiden,” Nate told them both, but his eyes were glued on Leslie. “What brings you here?”

            “Oh, by that do you mean being forced by your best friend when you should be at home studying for that Calc. test?” Tasha mumbled, intending to keep it to herself, but as she looked up and met Leslie’s glare, she knew she said it a little too loud.

            “Don’t mind her.” Leslie giggled softly and glared at Tasha with her fierce almond eyes.  

            Aiden found a slight smile coming to his face at Tasha’s remark. He found her attitude interesting. Her hazel-colored orbs were on everything else but him. She wore a tight midnight dress that hugged her curves with a plunging neckline that revealed just the right amount of cleavage. Her golden brown locks complemented her glowing bronze skin. She was a beauty and Aiden couldn’t deny that.

            Tasha glanced over at him and noticed that he was eyeing her. He instantly brought color to her cheeks.

            Leslie took a sip of her beer and wiggled her brows at Tasha. “Say—" She hooked her arms around Nate’s, “—let’s go somewhere else.”

            Nate nodded obediently, not wanting to pass up this opportunity and smiled. “Of course.”

            Tasha stayed silent as she watched Nate and Leslie disappear into the crowd. She turned to look at Aiden. “He’s going to take care of her, right?”

            “What do you mean?” he asked, cocking his head to the side.

            She let out a dry laugh, lifting her head up as Aiden moved closer to her. “Can I leave? Is your friend going to take care of Leslie?”