Chapter 7

26.  Rules of Engagement

Relaxing in her chair, Carina took a slow sip from her orange juice as she studied Sarah across the rim of her glass.  She swallowed, swirled the glass around to mix the pulp and then sat it down on the table in front of her. 

“You seem a little distracted this morning.”

Sarah admired Carina’s patience.  It had been a whole ninety seconds since Beckman had excused herself to go powder her nose. 

“I’m just worried about the deal,” she replied, knowing it was a lie.  “I’ll feel better once the contract has been signed.”

“Nope, that’s not it,” Carina drawled, reaching for her juice again.  Sarah picked up her own glass to mask her smirk, but was deliberate to not completely do so.  Carina caught it and her eyes grew wide as she almost sputtered.  “You did the nerd!”

“A little louder, Carina, I don’t think the people in San Diego heard you.”  

“Yeah, whatever.”  Carina waved it off and leaned forward.  To Sarah’s relief, she dropped her voice.  “You don’t have that morning afterglow, though,” she remarked with a pensive frown.  “Did he pull the trigger too early?”

“That is none of your business.”  They might have been best friends for fourteen years, but there were some things Sarah liked to keep private.  She scowled at the redhead, but Carina showed no signs of backing down, and Sarah decided that it was more fun to get even than get mad.  “If you must know,” she said, “he was amazing.  Great stamina.  I barely got any sleep.”  Which technically, Sarah thought, was the truth.    

Carina’s jaw nearly hit the table.  Then she snapped her mouth shut and narrowed her eyes.  “I don’t believe you.”

“Would I lie?” Sarah asked innocently.

“Yes,” Carina replied without missing a beat.  “The only thing I can’t figure out is why.”

“Well, now you’ll never know,” Sarah said, not bothering to hide her grin this time.  “Rules are rules.”

“I wasn’t talking about his performance,” Carina replied.  Then she shook her head slowly.  “I think you’re lying about the whole thing.”

Sarah cocked her head to the side, her eyebrows drawn together in fake confusion.  “Why would I do that?”   

“Because anyone is fair game until one of us crosses the line.  You don’t want me to go after him.”  Carina tilted her glass in a salute.  “How very devious of you.”  She actually sounded proud.  “Of course,” Carina continued, “you do realize that now I have to make a play for him, given that you are clearly interested.”

Sarah had no choice but to drop the act.  “And if I ask you not to?  He has a kid, Carina,” she added when it didn’t seem like Carina was taking her seriously.  A very sweet kid, even when she was all sticky and hyped up on sugar.  

“Okay, fine,” Carina said.  “That’s a rule breaker anyway.  I’m not gonna do the time if I haven’t done the crime.”  She took another sip of her juice, contemplating something.  “You should probably back down too.”

Sarah blinked in surprise.  “What?  Why?”  It was the first time in the history of their friendship that Carina had actually advised her against going for a guy.  Even with Bryce, she’d just hinted, but she’d never come right out and said it.    

“Rebounds and kids don’t mix.”

Reluctant as Sarah was to admit it, Carina had a point.  Once Beckman was safely on her way back to D.C., she should just give Chuck his check and let him and Maggie get on with their lives.  A heaviness settled in Sarah’s stomach at the thought.