Chapter 24

Chapter 24-

*Preston's POV*

I was lying in my bed with Aaron next to my side. It had been a month since Veronica went missing. I was so worried about her. Mom and dad started taking me to a therapist to help with coping until we found her.

Eva, Jess, Aaron and I had dug deeper and deeper to find out about the gang violence. We couldn't find anything. We just found rates of violence and crimes and that is as far as we got. It was like a dead end. Everyone at school decorated her locker and left flowers for her because we weren't sure when she would come back.

I was lost in thought when we heard someone swing the door open. Aaron and I looked over startled to see my mom standing in the doorway. She had tears in her eyes and she looked speechless. "Mom, what's wrong," I said sitting up and looking at her concerned. "They found Veronica," she said breathlessly. "What," I said with shock taking over my body. "Your father is driving us," mom spoke softly.

Aaron and I jumped up from the bed and ran to the car. Dad drove to the hospital as we sat in silence. Aaron had texted Jess and Eva to let them know where we were going and what is happening. It felt like my world was spinning. I was about to see my little sister that was kidnapped. Mom was crying in the passenger seat. Dad had a stern look on his face. He didn't seem upset. I was unsure how to feel about all of this.

As we pulled up to the hospital, everything felt like it was in slow motion. We walked through the doors of the hospital. We made our way to the elevator. We didn't know how to talk to each other in this moment. Mom had a bag will a photo album and some other keep sakes just in case Veronica forgot certain things. I leaned against the wall of the elevator trying to steady myself and my thoughts.

The doors opened up on the floor that she was on. We all took a deep breath and started walking towards the room. The officers that stood outside of her door stopped us. "Immediate family only," he said and told Aaron to wait in the hallway. Aaron nodded and did as he was told. That's when they opened the door.

*Veronica's POV*

I heard the officers say something outside of my door. I waited a minute to see if it was a nurse. That's when I saw my mom, dad and Preston standing in the doorway. I didn't feel any type of way. I was shocked to see them. I should have been happy to see them. But in this moment, I was emotionless. A nurse walked in to help assist my parents on how to talk to me after an incident like this.

"Take it easy on her. She hasn't been very responsive since the police got here. She hasn't eaten either. Just take your time and give her time," the nurse said with a small smile. My parents sat on my right side and Preston sat on the left of me. "Hi Veronica," mom said softly. "Do you remember us," she asked. I nodded yes and sat there.

I had been crying all morning and bringing my family here doesn't help me. I was very moody and wanted nothing to do with society. I just wanted to lay here and cry. "Are you feeling alright," mom asked me another question. I nodded yes, which was a lie. I was not okay with this. I couldn't look at them. How was I supposed to tell them everything that happened in the gang?

Mom sat back and looked at dad. She smiled for a second and then looked down. She was unsure of what to say. Mom got up and walked out of the room. Dad looked down and then to me. "You need to talk to us soon Veronica. We need some answers," dad spoke. I looked at him and felt guilt take over my body. If only he knew I killed someone... he would disown me. My dad walked out of the room leaving me with Preston.

It was silent and it was awkward. "Veronica, I know you. You can talk. You just don't want to talk," he said. I looked to him and furrowed my eyebrows together. "This isn't you. Where is my sister? My sister would be happy to see her family. My sister would be in tears," he started yelling at me. It was just like how Jason was last night and it was making me mad.