Chapter X. Carnival justice

"I saw your last show and, man, it was remarkable," Kazama-kun says with a drawl. We were sitting in the cell after 'dinner'. "A bit rough but still... I bet the girl wrote her parts herself." I nod my agreement. "I see. She knows when to hide herself and she knows when to shine. A perfect trait for a woman." His face assumes a complacent expression, resembling a desirous collector contemplating an exhibition.

Kazama-kun continues to blabber about the mix of modesty and sincerity, but his words irritate me. I've never thought all those pompous things about Chizuru. In fact, it wasn't that long ago when I considered her a useless distraction. It's odd to see an outsider regarding her as a woman.

"Your producer has made the whole city discuss the Shinsengumi," Kazama-kun says. "I wonder who's his PR manager. Your band is a white elephant in itself, but he still manages to make something of you." Does he have a slight trait of mockery about his tone? There seems to be disdain in his eyes, overlaid with an air of courtesy.

"What do you mean?" He saved my ass yesterday, but what the fuck is he up to now? His droning voice is starting to get on my nerves.

"Easy, pal..." Kazama-kun smirks. "Have you seen many underground bands with" he pauses for a bit, "six members? Plus a manager. I attended college with him, by the way." Oh man, what sort of college was that? "And it's not that you play fucking klezmer or anything. The underground bands tend to have two or three members."

"Yeah? That's an apt observation. You're not bad at counting. But it works for us." I'm perfectly aware that we are a large band and we have a questionable financial situation, but this is Hijikata-san's headache, not mine.

"Guys surely make it work, huh?" Shiranui-kun grins. "Your vocalist is just something."

"Shiranui is in awe of your Harada," snickers Kazama-kun. The fundies twitch at the sound of his laughter. A moment of startled silence passes and the buzzing from their corner breaks out again. A dangerous fold crosses Shiranui-kun's forehead. "He was fucking ecstatic seeing Harada stab himself..." The way the prick curses here and there betrays that he was a well-bred boy until he reached his rebellious age. It's a bit forced. God, he's so funny.

"I like crazy people," admits Shiranui-kun, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

The Onis' inner dynamic is strange. Kazama-kun clearly tries to boss everyone around while Shiranui-kun tries to resist and joke back. I also try to oppose Hijikata-san when he mistakes himself for Alexander the Great, but hell, this is so different. Besides, the way he goes on about our little fiddler unnerves me.

"Yukimura-san is really a treasure," Kazama-kun continues, reflecting my thoughts. "I do wonder how you managed to convince her to join. What could you really offer her? In fact, she's from a good family and certain circles do not approve this sort of occupation." I like neither his words about 'certain circles' (I spit on whatever circles), nor his attitude towards Chizuru. Meanwhile, he adds something about her manners and a passionate fiddling style. I'm ready to forget how he knocked down the fundies' leader yesterday. It must have been torture for Hijikata-san to study with the jerk.

"Easy, Kazama," grins Shiranui-kun. "I'm sensing murderous intent from over here. You're not Yukimura's boyfriend yet." Shiranui-kun has unexpectedly caught me off-guard. I guess I've become too soft lately. Too easy to read.

"Okita-kun is not her boyfriend either," retorts Kazama-kun.

"For a person who's only seen her once, you sure know a lot about Chizuru-chan." I turn away from them making it clear that I'm not interested in a further discussion. I'm aware of Chizuru's family problems, but I've never considered them to be that serious. Suddenly the situation is somewhat different. Chizuru is strange to all those contented bastards just because she wants to make her own choices. In some ways, she struggles more than I thought, I'll give her that. And my sitting in jail doesn't help her at all.