Jar of Hearts

A/N: Here's the second chapter, but it's not related to the first, just a different side to how Alec would view their breakup, but maybe a few months/a couple years after the initial act. This side of Alec I doubt would ever happen, I just had the idea for it. The song is "Jar of Hearts" also by Christina Perri. Hope you enjoy it!

~*~*~*~*

The Two Sides of Alec
Chapter 2, Song 2---"Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri
Alec's POV

I know I can't take one more step towards you
'Cause all that's waiting is regret
Don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore
You lost the love I loved the most

It had been so long since their breakup. Months, years, Alec wasn't really sure, and he didn't care either. In fact, the only reason he was even thinking about it was because the man who'd stolen---and then broken---his heart so long ago was sitting across the room.

He could feel said warlock's eyes on him, burning holes in his head, but he simply turned it away, pretending to not notice. Alec knew that if he met those gorgeous, gold-green eyes, he'd bring up all kinds of feelings he'd been holding at bay and running from ever since that night.

Most of it would've been regret.

Regret that he'd ever gone to that warlock's party with Izzy, Simon, Jace, and Clary. Regret that he'd ever called the warlock back. Regret that he'd wasted his first kiss on that Downworlder scum. Regret that he'd allowed himself to love the warlock, and therefore let him steal his heart, turning him into a ghost of himself. Once his heart was stolen and broken, it was too late for him. There was nothing he could do, except try and forget. He couldn't love anymore, but he could ignore the pain for his own sake.

Most of all though, would be sadness that the warlock had lost the best love he'd ever had, the only one he'd ever had.

I learned to live half alive
And now you want me one more time

And who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart
You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are?

So, because of the warlock he was now in a room with, Alec had to learn to live without love. Not only in a romantic aspect, but in a familial way as well. After that warlock, after everything he'd done, Alec couldn't bring himself to love his family in quite the same way. It was never real, just a show he put on for them to make his siblings feel better.

But even after all that the warlock had taken from him, after all the trouble he'd caused, it seemed he only wanted more.

Alec wondered who that Downworlder thought he was? He'd watched his old lover carefully at first, when he still was in pain from the breakup and he still cared. All Alec had seen was his warlock running around, partying around, sleeping around, with anyone and everyone. But he'd never stay long. After one or two days, he'd get bored and run off to the next victim, leaving the last one in a similar state as Alec.

That villain ran around, collecting his jar of hearts, hearts he stole, crushed, and consumed in his path, ruining all chances of love for those in his wake.

Alec knew that one day, his actions would have consequences. He knew that one day, someone would punish the warlock for all his wrongdoings, it just wouldn't be him. Maybe it would be the warlock himself. Guilt could be buried down deep and left to rot, but it eventually would rise back up and consume. It consumed even the most cold hearted, sooner or later.

All Alec hoped was that the cretin would never come back for him. He was done with all that warlock's crap, he just wanted his revenge now. He wanted that man to get his just desserts.