the day it all started/prologue

the day it all started, ft. a song you should listen to: the quiet by troye sivan

As students moved slowly through the hall, people were bumped and were uncomfortably close to each other.
freshmen year

The girl let out a sigh as another person elbowed her side. She moved her dark hair behind her ear as she made her way towards her class.

Hiking her backpack up, the dark haired girl's brown eyes caught onto a door, the label now removed. Her head tilted slightly as she wondered if that was just a class she didn't know existed. It was her first year here so the reason made sense to her.

Her thoughts were cut short as she was nudged forward. She glanced back at the person behind her before moving forward, reaching a break in the crowd that allowed her to get an actual start to her class.

She looked closely to all the numbers and letters on the doors, trying to pick out which one she was needing to go to.

She bit her lip as she spotted the correct number, her hand on the handle of the door. Without hesitating, she pulled it open and went in, giving herself a mental note to try and talk to someone in the class.

///

The past week had been filled with glances at the unlabeled door and classes that didn't hold much interest for the girl.

The bell rang out, causing the students to get up with their things and start leaving the classroom. The teacher bid them goodbye, reminding them about their homework, wishing them to have a good weekend.

The dark haired girl managed to get out in one of the last groups of kids.
She paid a visit to her locker, exchanging items before waiting for crowds to disperse to make it easier to get out of the school. But as she did so, her dark eyes caught onto the door again. She had always been a bit curious her whole life, but for all she knew, this door was just a janitor's closet, as of which she had seen just down the hall earlier.

She bit her lip as thoughts ran through her head as what could lie behind that door. Without a second thought, she made her way to the door, putting her hand on the handle. She glanced around before she turned the handle and opened the door just a small bit. She looked back one more time before stepping in and letting the door shut behind her.

A set of stairs was what she first saw. She descended the stairs and looked around, now being in a bland, simple-looking hallway.

The hallway only had one door, with a vending machine leaning against the end of the hall on her left. The door was almost directly in front of her. It was metal, like all the rest of the doors in the school, with the appropriate type of lock, but the door was definitely not as new as the others. The walls were a plain cream color, the floors being white with small flecks of color mixed in. The hallway wasn't as well lit either, only three small, duller lights on the ceiling.

Absentmindedly, her hand fiddled with the end of her t-shirt. She kept thinking that this was similar to scenes in horror movies where the girl gets murdered and then found by another student, starting a look for the murderer, which just increases the amount of kills made.

If that thought was even relevant.

She let out a breath before stepping off of the stairs and over to the door. First, she listened for a second to hear if anything or anyone was in there. But, she didn't hear really anything.
Hesitantly, she opened the door.

The sight in front of her was a great contrast to the bland classrooms in the actual school. From what she could see in the door way, pieces of art done by others were all over the walls, the walls also being painted different bright colors.