Chapter XVII

They walked out the door and headed next door. They didn't say anything as they walked across the yard. They walked right up to the front door. There wasn't a car in the driveway anymore.

"Maybe, he's not here." she said. "The car's gone."

"That's his uncle's car. They've gone to church. They won't be back until around noon." he said.

"And Tommy?" she asked.

"Tommy doesn't go to church with them." John said. "He'll be here."

John knocked on the door. They stood there waiting. She was nervous like never before. Tommy answered the door.

"Hey, John. Hello Shelby. Come on in guys. Donald and Vince are already here." Tommy said.

They walked in and there was Donald and Vince sitting on the couch like they were waiting on something. She sat down in the chair next to the couch. Donald and Vince were looking at her strangely.

"He did see her this morning. Now, he's gone and told them." she thought. "Crap!"

She sat there hoping no one tells John. They kept looking at her making her feel uncomfortable. She started fidgetting in the chair.

"What guys?" she asked.

"Nothing. Nothing at all." they both said.

"He definitely told them." she thought.

"Guys, what's wrong?" John asked.

"Nothing." they both said.

"What's going on?" John asked.

"Not a thing." Tommy said.

"What are we doing today?" John asked.

"We could go back to the lake." Tommy said.

"If we're going to show Shelby a good time, we need to think of something that's going to be fun each time we do it." John said.

Donald and Vince snickered. Tommy sat there smiling.

"Get your minds out of the gutter." John said. "I'm being serious. We need to think of things to do."

"We can go to the movies." Donald said.

"Now, there's an idea." John said. "Anything else?" John asked.

"We can go fishing." Vince said.

"I like fishing." she said.

"Where?" John asked.

"How about the creek that runs through the woods at the back of the property?" Tommy asked.

"Yeah. We haven't done that in a while." Vince said. "Plus, we wouldn't have to drive anywhere. We could walk there."

"Ok, then. Shelby, what would you like to do?" John asked.

"I wouldn't mind going fishing." she said.

"We're going fishing." John said.

"Wait. I don't have a fishing rod with me." she said.

"Can you use a pole?" John asked.

The guys started laughing again.

"What now?" John asked.

"You said "pole"." Donald said.

"Don't make me hurt you today. There's a female in the room. Straighten up." John warned them.

"Can you use a pole, Shelby?" John asked as he stared at his friends.

They sat there trying real hard not to laugh. They just smiled. John kept his eyes locked on them.

"Yes, I know how to use a pole." she said. "And I know how to use a fishing pole also."

They all stared at her. Then they busted out laughing. John also laughed.

"She got me. I can't believe it." John said.

"She's going to fit right in." Tommy said.

"Just don't do that in front of other people. Ok." John said. "Just us."

"Sure." she said.

"Damn, she got you good." Donald said.

"And you were worried about us." Vince said.

"Yeah, yeah, rub it in." John said. "You done?" he asked.

They all nodded including her. That made her feel better. Her nervousness went away.

"Let's go fishing." John said.

They all got up and walked out of the house. They split up and went to get their fishing gear. Tommy went to the shed behind the house. Donald and Vince went across the street to their houses. She and John went back across the yard to the shed. John pulled out two poles and a tackle box. He handed the things to her.

"Wait here. I'll be right back." he said.

She stood there alone for a few minutes. She heard a noise and turned to see Tommy walking up. He was smiling at her. He walked right up and kissed her on the cheek.

"This is going to be a great day." he said.

"You need to stop kissing me before John catched you>" she said.

"I thought you liked me." Tommy said.

"I do like you. I just don't want you and John fighting again." she said.

Donald, Vince and John walked around the side of the house together. John had a can in his hand. They walked over and stopped. John took his pole and the tackle box.

"We ready?" John asked.

"Yeah." they answered.

"Let's go." John said.