Chapter One: Not Human

Lydia

I had barely opened the door to my house before confetti came flying at me and my mom screamed,

"You got in! You got the scholarship!" I was in so much shock that I dropped everything I was holding in my hands. My hands instantly flew up to my mouth and I started crying.

"I can't believe it!" I sobbed as my mom hugged me. Ever since Foxfire had contacted me about a scholarship competition they wanted me to enter, it had been my dream to be able to attend the beautiful school. The only downside was that I had to leave home and live with a foster family while I was in school, which was basically all year round.

Foxfire had a different grade system than most other private schools, so I would be starting as a year four. Foxfire was also very strict, you had to pass your midterms to be able to continue at the school. It was going to be a challenge but I was up for.

"When do I leave?" I asked excitedly as I wiped away the remnants of tears on my cheeks.

"Tomorrow," my mother sighed, her face falling to the ground.

"Oh," I muttered, my face falling as well. I knew that if I got the scholarship I would be enrolled right away, but I never expected it to be as fast as it was turning out to be.

"How about you help me pack mom," I suggested. She looked up at me and stared into my deep green eyes.

"That sounds wonderful sweetheart," she sighed as she put on a fake smile. I grabbed her hand and we walked up to my room.

"How much will I need to bring?" I asked my mom as I stared into my massive closet.

"Well, the Foxfire representatives emailed me and said that you only need a few pair of clothes, because your foster parents will be providing you clothes to help you fit in a little more." She replied.

"Three outfits it is," I concluded and threw three decent looking outfits in my bag. I also but a few books in my bag and my favorite blanket that was purple and blue.

By the time I was done it was already 10:00 PM. I hugged my mom good night and fell asleep in my bed for the last time.

My dreams were jolted to a stop as I was being shaken awake. I rubbed my eyes and looked up at the smiling face of my mom.

"Hurry up honey! The representative, who I believe is your principle will be here in thirty minutes!" Mom squealed.

I groaned and threw my warm covers off of me. I went to the bathroom and but my died blonde hair up, my hair is naturally dark brown, but I found that blonde looked better on me than brown. I also put on my glasses and put some makeup on. Since I was only fourteen, I wasn't an expert at putting makeup on, but I was good enough to make me look decent.

I shrugged at myself and changed into a cute purple blouse and a pair of black leggings. I got all of my last minute items and walked down the stairs with my bag. When I reached the bottom of the stairs a man was standing next to my mom.

"Honey, this is your new principal Magnate Leto," Mom smiled. I smiled and shook his hand.

"It's so nice to finally meet you Miss Adams," Magnate Leto greeted me.

"Did you just speak in a different language?" My mother asked as her face twisted in confusion. What my mom said didn't even make any sense, I understood exactly what Magnate Leto had just said to me and it sounded like perfectly normal English. Panic flicked across Magnate Leto's face for only a second before he turned back to my mother.

"At our school, we teach all of the children the language of a lost civilization that died off many years ago. That is one of the reasons why our school is so special," He responded. She nodded and broke his eye contact to look up at me. Her eyes were begging me to change the subject because she clearly felt embarrassed.