Chp 12- Once

I sat on the sink of the guest bathroom, holding my head in my hands. August had left a couple of minutes ago, after receiving a call from Mama, questioning his whereabouts.There was officially no doubt in my mind that I wanted to be with August. But there was Ty...who'd made sure to treat me how any woman would want to be treated by her significant other.

My various thoughts were cut short at the sound of a slight rapping on the bathroom door.

"Shanelle? Are you in here?"

I took a deep breath, regaining myself before fixing my clothing and opening the door. I could barely meet Ty's eyes.

"Are you okay? You'd been missing for a good hour-"

He ceased his questioning when he took notice of my facial expression.

"What's wrong?" His eyebrows knitted together in worry.

"We need to talk, Ty."

I pulled him into one of the nearby guest rooms, shutting the door. His eyes cautiously followed me as I paced the room.

"Baby, what's the-"

I ceased my pacing, standing in front of him.

"Ty, I love you..."

He flashed me a smile, pulling me to him.

"I love you, t-"

I cut him off, gently pulling from him before softly speaking once again.

"Let me finish, alright?"

He stared at me for a moment, nodding. I gently bit my lip before sighing and continuing.

"I love you, Ty. But i'm not in love with you."

He sighed, running his hand across the back of his neck.

"Is this about August?"

We stared at each other for a moment, each mentally refusing to add to the already thick silence.

"I'm sorry, Ty...it wasn't in my intentions for this to happen." I gestured between the two of us.

He nodded, looking down and placing his hands into his pockets.

"I understand. I'm glad you were forthright with me instead of stringing me along as some kind of back-up arrangement."

I gave him a small smile, sticking my hand out for a cordial hand shake in attempts of breaking the ice. I was caught by surprise when he pulled me into his chest, enveloping me into a strong hug.

"You sure about this?" His voice was barely audible, yet I clearly heard him. I nodded, gently pulling away.

"I'm positive."

He chuckled, releasing my hand and taking a step back.

"It was worth a try."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After walking Ty out through the front door, I watched him pull away, giving him a small wave. I was surprised by how easily the entire situation went. But I couldn't continue to string him along; he deserved so much better than that. I walked back into the house, gently shutting the door. Everyone was still in the back yard, enjoying themselves and having a good time, and here I was...battling a relationship crisis. I looked down at my bare ring finger...where my commitment to August should've remained. We hadn't even finalized our divorce. Maybe it was because we both knew that there was no need...