Chp 14- In and Out

Before I was aware of my actions, I was charging towards Bri. I felt myself being lifted off of the ground as August's arms wrapped around my waist, picking me up from behind. I fought with him, kicking and swinging, determined to get to her. She stood quickly, a confused expression on her face.

"Aye! Aye, chill!"

I felt my feet touch the ground once again, and August whipped me around to face him.

"What the fuck wrong witchu?"

I turned around, shaking my head, unable to shift my gaze from Bri, who looked frightened for her life. I realized August's hands were still on my waist, as if he expected me to charge once again. I almost chuckled at how well he knew me.

"Somebody kidnapped 'Mali today."

I feet August's grip loosen on my waist. "What?"

I didn't bother to face him. I was too focused on how I could get to Bridgett without him preventing me from doing so once again. Once I heard the jingle of keys, I turned to face August, who was no longer trying to hold me back. Instead, he had retrieved his keys from the counter, where I'd tossed them before charging at Bridgett.

"Where are you goin'?"

His jaw was clenched, and the anger was evident in his voice.

"Probably to prison, if I get caught. Who the fuck got her?!?"

I'd witnessed August in attempts of protecting his loved ones, and it was nothing pretty. It was safe to say that Mel's killers hadn't been brought to justice by law, but they were six feet under.

"There's no need to go lookin' for her. She's upstairs. But if you wanna go after somebody, go after that bitch." I gestured towards Bri, glaring at her. August glanced behind me at Bri, before looking at me as if I were crazy.

"What the fuck you mean? You sayin' that Bri took 'Mali?"

I clapped my hands together as I spoke. I could feel the NOLA comin' out of me. "Yes, August! That's exactly what the fuck i'm sayin. She showed up outta no where, and all of a sudden, somebody gets Amali from school and then takes her back?! It's obvious she did it!"

I glanced behind me as I heard Bridgett's voice. She was speaking soft, and carefully, knowing that at any moment, I would snap.

"Shanelle, I didn't take Amali. I would never do anything like that. I just got into town an hour and a half ago, and my first stop was here."

I glared at her, causing for her to become silent once again. I looked at August, who was glancing back and forth between the two of us, as if debating upon which story to side with. I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrow at him, ready to go off on him if he chose incorrectly. Before any of us could speak again, I heard a small voice from the door of the kitchen. I glanced at Amali, who was halfway hidden, due to her small body being shielded behind the wall. She peeked at us from behind it, and I let my arms drop as I attempted to calm myself for her sake.

"Am I in trouble?"

August turned towards Amali and then looked at both Bri and I. He kneeled down, shaking his head at Amali, who had inched a little further into the kitchen.

"Nah, you ain't in trouble. Come 'ere baby girl."

She met her father's embrace, but her eyes never left Bri. I watched as August stood, hugging her, while giving her a kiss. It was silent for a moment, as August held her tightly, probably embracing the fact that she was home safely, rather than in the back of some pedophile's van.

"Daddy, who's that?"

I glanced back at Bri, where Amali's eyes were fixed. My face twisted in confusion.

"Didn't she pick you up from school today?"

Amali shook her head at me, before resting her head on August's shoulder. My face softened as I looked at Bri.

"Oh my God. I'm so sorry, Bri, I-"

She held her hands up in surrender. "No, no, it's perfectly understandable."

Before I could come up with a legitimate answer for Amali's previous question, her eyes were closed, and she was snoring softly on August's shoulder, with her curls spread out. I watched as he whispered something in her ear, causing for her to smile in her sleep.

"Imma take her upstairs real quick."

I nodded at August before sitting down on one of the bar stools and placing my head into my hands. I glanced up at Bri, who was standing awkwardly, apparently debating her next move.

"Bri..."

She looked at me timidly.

"I really am sorr-"

She cut me off, giving me a small smile. "Stop apologizing, Shanelle. I told you, it's fine. But who would do something so awful?"

I could only shake my head and shrug, just as clueless as she was. August rounded the corner, rubbing at his face. He looked just as stressed as I was.

"How the fuck somebody took her? Ain't the school supposed to be on lock?!"

I stood, speaking softly. August was on edge, and I wasn't tryna witness him catching a case and possibly ruining his career.

"I don't know."

I watched as he took his phone out, dialing a number.

"I want her in a fuckin' private school by next week." He spoke to me before placing the phone to his ear, and walking to the hall. I turned to Bri, attempting to shift the conversation. I was stressing, and really just needed a convo shift.

"How've your treatments been going?"

She sighed, slightly tilting her head and playing with the sleeve of her jacket. "I can't complain. I got released for early improvement. My doctor thought it'd be a good idea to get away..."

I nodded, still unable to fully get my mind off of the day's events.

"She's gotten so big."

I looked up at Bri, who was staring at her hands. It took me a moment to realize that she was referring to Amali.

"Yeah....yeah she just turned 5."

Bri gave me a small smile. We sat in silence for a while, probably both consumed within our own thoughts and questions.

Who would kidnap Amali?

And what did they have against us?

A/N: Sorry guys. This was shorter than planned. It's been kinda hectic, so forgive me :)