Chapter 1- The Big Move

Clothes?
Check.
Guitars?
Check.
Amp?
Check.
Massive collection of classic rock memorabilia?
Check.

Ah, yes, the basic essentials. At least for (Y/n). He'd been jolted out of his mostly peaceful life by the "quite necessary" move ahead of him. At least that's how his parents put it. New job with better pay? Hey, duty calls. It was an offer his father apparently couldn't resist. (Y/n) didn't mind the move too much, instead being one to enjoy an adventure and a long ride in the car. It was just making sure all of his belongings were present that was worrying him. He'd already checked twice, and his mother confirmed that all of his things were safely tucked away either in the trunk or the moving van. Resisting the urge to check one last time, (y/n) hopped into the backseat of the car and awaited the long drive ahead.

~~~

After 14 hours of continuous driving (aside from stopping at various rest stops and switching drivers), everyone was ready to call it quits and hit the nearest motel. Only two and half more days to go. Plus the whole multiple-week ordeal of moving in.

~~~

(Y/n) had enjoyed the drive, but was definitely ready to get situated in a new house. Cheap mattresses on even cheaper pull-out couches got old pretty fast. So did not being able to plug in an amp and jam. The garage had been greatly missed during the trip. Hopefully the new one has decent insulation. (Y/n) thought. Too many nights had been spent with frozen fingers and a frozen butt. "Hey mom?" (Y/n) asked.

"Yes, honey?"

"Can we buy a heater for the new garage? You know how cold the old one got."

His mom laughed. "Actually, you won't need to live in the garage unless you want to. This house has a basement, and you can have it all to yourself. Your dad and I really don't need it."
The teen fist pumped the air, but quickly stopped himself just before he punched the car's roof.

"Sweet! Thank you so much."

His father chimed in next. "Speaking of the new basement, you can see it now if you want. We're here!"

(Y/n) looked out the window. His dad had parked outside of a medium-sized house, which was painted a pretty shade of blue. It was a little larger than their old place, too. "I'll get my stuff!" (Y/n) said excitedly, hopping out of the car and grabbing as many boxes as he could carry.

~~~

Finally. (Y/n) breathed a sigh of relief as he set the last of his boxes down on the basement floor. It was pretty nice down here. There was no musty odor that always seemed to accompany basements, and the floors were covered in a soft grey carpet. It was devoid of furniture, but that would be easily fixed. Maybe not so easily, actually. However easy dragging a bed frame and a set of shelves down the stairs was. That's a problem for another time. Or, like, until I need to sleep. I guess I could sleep on the floor. (Y/n) laughed to himself, then began to unpack. Halfway through he decided to bring down the disassembled shelves, which he then reassembled and pushed into the corner next to where the bed would go. The floor was much less cluttered, now that there was a place to put his things. A day later, everything was in its rightful place, and (y/n) and his dad had brought down both the bedpost and a mattress. It was starting to feel like home. His posters were mostly up, all 3 of his guitars were lined up in their rightful stands, and he was ready as hell to take a very long, well-deserved nap.

~~~

Four? Five? Six? An undetermined number of hours later, (y/n) was up. Up and hungry. He rubbed his eyes and ventured up the stairs, on a quest to quiet his growling stomach. Temporarily oblivious to the fact that he'd only been living in this house for less than three days, (y/n) was surprised to find the fridge almost empty.

"(Y/n), I haven't gone grocery shopping yet, remember? If you're hungry, check the cooler in the car, there's probably something in there you can eat." His dad said, noticing his son's confusion at the state of the fridge. "Oh, yeah. That makes sense." (Y/n) closed the door and started in the direction of the car. Opening the cooler inside, he found a package of crackers, spray cheese, yogurt, and a few bottles of Gatorade. "A meal fit for a king." He sarcastically muttered to himself.

(Y/n) brought the cooler back inside with him, then sat down and took out some of the snacks. "We can get pizza tonight, honey. There's a cool little pizzeria in town." His mom said. "Sounds good! My guitars and I will be in my room till then." (Y/n) replied, heading for the stairs.

"Ok, and be as loud as you want! The walls are practically soundproof!"

(Y/n) definitely did not mind this new house.

~~~

The next few days proved to be rather uneventful. (Y/n)'s mom and dad still had to unpack a few things, plus buy some new furniture. The house was looking a little bare. That could be fixed with a few chairs and various items from the local Bed, Bath, and Beyond, though. Yet another giant shopping trip. What fun.

(Y/n) had just come up to make himself lunch when his mother informed him that the freshly-baked cookies on the counter were from the neighbors down the street, and that they'd been invited to dinner tonight at 6. In all honestly, (y/n) probably would have complained, if not for the fact that there would be free food there. His mother also said that the neighbors had three sons, and one of them was his age, and that he should try and make a friend.

Well, it couldn't hurt to try, could it? Hopefully it's a cute guy. (Y/n) mentally slapped himself.

Could you not be gay for like, five seconds?

Nope. He answered himself.

It was 5:30. (Y/n) dug through his small closet, trying to find a pair of clothes that were "business casual" and didn't make him seem like he was trying too hard to look nice. His parents would probably have questions if he started wearing ties and polished shoes. He settled on a white, collared shirt and black skinny jeans. He rolled the sleeves up to his elbows, and unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt. Dressy enough. He thought. The time was now 5:50. (Y/n) headed upstairs, and slipped a pair of converse on as his parents headed out the door.

The walk took only about a minute, as the neighbor's house was only the 3rd one over. His dad stepped up to ring the doorbell, and they were greeted by a woman with dark hair and glasses. She smiled, saying how glad she was you could make it, and invited everyone inside. Mrs. Heffley (at least (y/n) thought that was what his mom had called their neighbor)  walked to the dining room and took a seat. (Y/n) and his parents followed suit, and soon everyone had been introduced. Well, almost everyone. Mr. Heffley stated that he'd be back in a pinch, and that he just needed to remind his eldest son that it was dinnertime. "Teenagers, right?" He joked, and your parents chuckled and nodded. Ha ha. Haven't heard that a million times. (Y/n) thought. Mrs. Heffley turned to (y/n). "I'm sure you and Rodrick will get along great. You both seem to like  similar things, especially music."

Rodrick. So that's what his name is.

(Y/n) smiled and nodded. "Yeah. I hope we do. And thank you for the dinner. It's really good."

"Oh, thank you sweetie! It's the least we could do for our new neighbors." Mrs. Heffley said.

(Y/n)'s attention was drawn by Mr. Heffley's return. A young man with messy black hair followed behind him, and walked over to the empty chair next to (y/n). He sat down. "Well, I'll leave you two to it!" Mrs. Heffley smiled, then returned to her conversation with the other parents.