CHAPTER 28

"So now you think Ajay and his brother might be the enemy?" Myra asked. I nodded my head doubtful.

We narrated the whole story to her. I'm surprised at how well she took it in although when we mentioned how Ryan died her expression was grave.

"But I don't think his brother went to jail," She said frowning. She had talked to him a couple of times. They were of the same age.

"No he didn't," I confirmed reflecting on the time I knew him. I didn't know him that well as Ryan did. But I know them well enough that even the prospect of them hurting us seem so bizarre.

"First of all we need to figure out the motive. I mean we know the possible motive but we have to find a way to fit them into this," David said.

That's it. Then for ten minutes we all stayed silent. I tried to think of a motive but my mind kept denying that he could ever do this. I stared outside the window. It was pitch black with minimal stars. The only sound was the ticking of the old clock in my room. After some time that sound made me insane so I spoke first.

"As of now we don't have anything. But we need a solid proof. Anything that might give us the upper hand here. He got to be someone at that memorial at school. We know he is an Indian and he definitely know us more. So its got to be Ajay and his brothers who are on the top of our success or it could be any of our relatives."

Myra shuddered. Unlike me she is much closer to our relatives. Even for me that aspect made my skin crawl. My own family conspiring against me isn't very happy thought. It appalled me beyond anything.

"Now lets just consider that it isn't Ajay and his brother," David said. "And also that Ayush is not Lokesh. Is there anyone in your family who has an open hatred to you or your parents?"

"It could be Govind my uncle," I said just to fill the silence that followed. "He and my father fought over a family house and he kind of threatened us."

"But was it serious enough that he would do this?" Myra asked. "I know him. He is so sweet. He could have been angry at that time but he can never do this. Also we know that Whatever you or your parents did, it should have been pretty serious. I still think that it is because of the accident."

"Yeah I think so too but now that we have no possible way to connect it we have to look over other possibilities," David said. "Remember he always says that you ruined his life. How is that? Was your uncle very poor or something? Or did he become poor after you refused to give up the house?"

"No, not at all," I said immediately. Myra is right. He is so sweet and so kind to us. He was the first one to attend my parent's funeral and he mourned pretty badly. "I don't think it's him. He came to the memorial, yes, but now we shared the money after we sold the house. He is damn wealthy too. There is nothing to worry about him."

"Then move on to the next prospective enemy," David urged on. I got irritated now. True,he doesn't know about any of our relatives. But he could at least try to help us instead of being an useless jerk.

"I still can't believe that Veer uncle had did like this," Myra mused. "I adored him when I was a child and he was the best police officer I've ever known. It seems like my life is a lie now."

"Shut up Myra!" I snapped. Wrong or not I will not let her talk about my father like this. "He is a great person Okay? Mistakes do happen."

"If that mistakes involved killing people then I will not stop blaming for that," she snapped back.

"You are not talking about him like that. You understand." I shouted.

"I'm not saying it's entirely his fault. You are the only sane one on the car that day. And you-"

I didn't wait to listen before I slapped her. She looked up shocked and pounced on me hitting me on the cheeks.

And the next instant we were pulled apart. I was shoved roughly on the bed.

"Look at yourselves," David said glaring at us. "We are in a life threatening situation here and you fight like kids."

"Sorry," I mumbled looking down.

"I'm sorry too," Myra said. "I should have known how it is. I lost my parents too. I shouldn't have told about your parents like that."

David huffed. When I looked up he almost looked like my dad when he was being stern with us.

Just then we heard a car come inside the driveway.

"Got to be Mr.Grover," Myra said. "He said he will come late."

We came downstairs to open the door.

"Hey sorry did I wake everybody," he said. Was he born cheerful?

"Not at all Mr.Grover. We were awake watching a movie," David said.

"You could call me Yash," he said walking in. "Could I make myself a coffee?"

"Sure. Or wait I'll do it," I replied.

"Okay we will go to bed now." David and Myra left. I was not tired anyway and I could definitely use some coffee now.

It was only after I finished making coffee that I noticed that he was staring at me. When I looked at him questioning he opened his mouth but closed it immediately. He definitely looked troubled.

"Do you want to ask me anything, sir?"

"Yeah well," he hesitated momentarily, "I guess you would understand this. You are a teenager. It's just that I think I have been stalked. By some hooded man."

My heart quickened its pace. God no no no...

"At first I thought it might be a business rival. But then he didn't behave like a hired spy. He definitely wants to keep a safe distance from me, shadowed me from a distance which is definitely far to hear my conversations. I checked my phone just in case it had been chipped. It was not. Actually I don't know why I'm telling all this to you but I just thought I could confide this with you. You know Myra, she will easily become paranoid. So..."

Beep..beep...beep

There it was, the sound I expected.

I took my phone from the counter, my hands slippery with sweat, my heart beating so loud that I'm sure even Yash could hear it.

Strike 2. You are involving more and more innocents into the game and soon at least one of them is bound to fall.
This game is between us. And believe me, I already made the check-mate move.