Chapter 5:Homerun

Kya POV

Today was tryouts and boy was I stressin'.I had to go all the way to wal-mart to buy a new bat because Khris broke my other one and he didn't even tell me!I grew since the last time I played so my old cleats don't fit anymore and so did my hands so I had to buy another mitt as well. My physical took 2 hours just for a 5 minute test so I spent pretty much half the day out of school just to get my shit together.

Atleast I made it to tryouts on time.

Ironically, the boy's baseball field was right next to ours and you could see them perfectly.Some guys were catching baseballs and others were working on their swings.I guess they already warmed up.

I looked around to see if I knew anyone on the team and of course that meant any other black girl on the team . Unfortunately, nope . Just white girls. One had long blonde hair and she seemed to have an attitude.That right there made me mad, but I wasn't going to let it bother me one bit.

After we stretched and ran a lap around the field, we had to do catching partners. I didn't even try to find a partner because I knew if I went up to any of the girls they'd neglect me.

We had an even number, but three girls wanted to be throwing buddies, however the coach wouldn't allow it.

"Sorry ladies, no two on one! Kya, Brittany! Partners!"She shouted.

My head shot up like a firecracker.I had to be partners with Brittany, the one with the attitude. I didn't want to be her partner, but I didn't want to show bad sportsmanship so I grabbed my mitt and we all lined up across eachother to throw.

Brittany rolled her eyes and threw the softball lazily, it didn't even reach me. It landed halfway between us. I gritted my teeth and retrieved it.

I heard the sound of aluminum being hit. I turned my attention to the boys and guess who just hit a home run? Christopher. I must say I was impressed. He turned to our field and he flashed me a smile, with the process of licking his lips.

I blushed and returned to my bitch of a throwing partner.

After throwing to eachother, some threw worse than others, we were up to bat. The boys' tryouts were over early so they get to watch us bat. That meant Christopher and Ryan got to see me bat.

The other girls were trying their hardest to look cute for the boys. They weren't even trying to hit the ball. I asked to skip some girls and they let me.

I made sure my helmet fit perfectly and my stance was right. I could hear some of the guys complimenting my body, well wolf whistles anyways.I glanced over my shoulder and saw Christopher looking jealous, it was funny.

I didn't even know I hit it already, all I remember was taking off for first, then second, then third, and then home. I may have earned some brownie points from my teammates because they gave me high fives and hugs and to think they wouldn't even speak to me when I first showed up.

Brittany however, was still a bitter bitch.

---

After practice, Christopher and Ryan showed up.

"Hey Kya, that was an awesome homerun."Ryan said placing an arm around my shoulder.

I smiled and looked at Christopher, who was shooting daggers to Ryan and his hand.

"Thanks, you did good too, you too Christopher. "I reassured him.

"Anyways, I gotta go.Bye Christopher , bye Kya."Ryan sprinted for his car, as if it were on fire, but before leaving he winked at Christopher.