chapter 7: Birthday

I woke up and remembered it was my birthday and I was 17. It didn't feel like it was though. It felt like just any ordinary day. Most people would expect to have a big party with cake and presents but for me that is not the case.  When Kate had her sweet 16 she invited me and her other friends over. We sang karaoke, did some dares, and swam in her pool. That was epic! Maybe Bob will treat me with some respect today. Who am I kidding? He would never be nice to me if it was my birthday or not. Today was Saturday and it looked like I was spending my birthday alone. 

I remembered before my mom married Bob I used to do something fun. My mom would make me a huge stack of chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. Then she would take me to see a movie. Afterwards we would go out to eat and have ice cream. That all ended when I was 14. She started to work a lot and then she started to drink and take drugs. It was like she didn't care about me at all. There were days when I wanted to kill myself but I knew that someday it would all end. Even though she didn't care about me I still loved her and I hoped she would change for the better. 

I decided to go out of my room and see if Bob was here but he wasn't. Thank god he's not going to ruin my day. If I was going to spend my birthday alone at least it would be in peace. Just then I heard the doorbell ring. Who could that be? I came downstairs and opened the door. I couldn't believe it. It was Christian! "Hey I hope this isn't a bad time," he said. "It's fine." "Happy birthday, Ana!" "Wait how did you know it is my birthday?" "I have my ways," he responded. "Are you doing anything special?" Christian asked me. "I'm just spending my birthday here alone." "Well i'm going to make it special for you, Ana."

"You really don't have to do this." "Oh I have to," he said as he gave me a small box. I opened it and inside was a diamond necklace. "Christian it's beautiful." It really was. This was the nicest thing anyone has done for me."Thank you so much," I added. "It was nothing really," he said as he put it around my neck. "So where do you want to go now? he asked me. "Wait, what?" "I told you that I wanted to make your birthday special so i'm going to take you out somewhere." I thought of where I wanted to go. "Can we go to Breyer's ice cream?" I asked. "Of course."

I went back inside and got dressed. I put on my leather jacket, my NYC shirt, and black leggings. For once I was looking quite stylish. I came back downstairs to meet Christian and he led me to his Lamborghini. Wow I wish I had such a nice car like this I thought. Christian Grey has it all. "Ana, maybe afterward we could go to the movies and see Sausage Party that raunchy comedy." "Sounds like a plan."

It felt so good to be actually doing something on my birthday. It has been a while since I did something special. Things had been so much better ever since Christian Grey entered my life. For some reason he gave me that glimmer of hope that everything was going to be okay. When we arrived at Breyers we ordered our ice creams. I had a chocolate sundae and he just had vanilla. We decided to go outside once we got them. 

"So what are your parents up to, Ana?" "They're at work," I lied. Well it wasn't all a lie. It was partly true because my mom works long shifts. "I can't believe they left you alone on your birthday!" "That's because they don't really love me." "Don't say that!" "I don't think they even remembered that it's my birthday today." "I'm sure they know it's your birthday." "Can we talk about something else now?" I asked. "Yeah i'm sorry." "It's okay." "Are you excited to see sausage party?" I asked changing the subject. "Aw hell yeah!" "Did you know that they're going to make the emoji movie?" "Yeah that's going to be interesting," he laughed. "It's going to be the definition of bleach," I said. Talking to christian and making jokes made me forget about feeling sad and lonely on my birthday.

"Shall we go now?" Christian asked as I finished my sundae. "Yeah i'm ready now." When we went to the movie theater there were only a couple people there which was good because we could have peace and quiet. the movie was okay. It wasn't that good but there were some funny scenes and sexual jokes that made me laugh. After the movie Christian went to drop me off home. He decided to stay for a few minutes and then go.

We were talking when all of a sudden Bob came home. Oh crap i'm dead. Christian saw the horrified look on my face. "What's wrong?" Before I could answer Bob was shouting at me. "Who the fuck is this?" "I'm Christian, Ana's boyfriend." "Since when did you get a boyfriend?" he screamed at me. "Christian go now!" "No i'm not leaving you here," he told me. "It'll be okay and I'll see you on Monday." Reluctantly he started to leave. "You're going to be sorry now!" he yelled after Christian drove off. He got out his belt and whipped me on the back seven times, hard. I was near the verge of tears. After that I ran to my room and cried there for the rest of the night.