C h a p t e r F o u r

Numerous cars were parked outside the school gates. They were classy and expensive looking, and many drivers or bodyguards opened the doors for their passengers, all of whom stepped out wearing identical uniforms. Instead of trousers, the girls wore short skirts that stopped above their knees, knee length socks, and a pair of pristinely polished shoes. One did not need to be clever to tell right away that only the important or rich kids went to this school.

As Jace's driver slowed down in front of the gates, Jace studied his surroundings. He watched as his soon to be schoolmates, or even classmates, walked into the big school gates, some catching up with friends, others walking alone with earphones in. He even saw a boy skateboard into school, and noticed that some of the kids had their drivers carry their school bags for them.

Once the car came to a stop, Thomas opened the door for Jace to step out, which he casually did, lighting another cigarette in the process.

"Here is your school bag, sir," Thomas said, handing the bag to Jace. "Should I escort you to class?"

Jace ignored him, casually walking away as he smoked.

Jace stood in front of the tall, black, iron gates and stared at the roaring lion sculptures that sat on either side when someone came from behind him and snatched his cigarette, putting it in her own mouth.

"What the hell?" He turned around to come face to face with the culprit, who was now coughing. He quickly snatched his cigarette back, muttering a few cuss words under his breath.

After the girl had calmed down, she threw her strawberry blonde hair to one side and wiped the tears that had formed at the corners of her eyes from the vigorous coughing.

"Agatha Rupert," she said and stretched out her hand, smiling so brightly that her light brown eyes sparkled against the morning sun. Jace scanned her appearance before he turned and started to walk into the school gates wordlessly.

Agatha, feeling rejected, slowly dropped her hand to her side and watched Jace's back as he walked further away from her. Then, blowing away a stray hair that had fallen on her face, she smiled and jogged after him.

"You must be new to this school. I haven't seen you around before," she said, walking backwards to face him a few feet ahead of him. Jace rolled his eyes in annoyance and flicked his cigarette away after taking his last puff.

"Will you at least give me your name?" she asked, but all she got in reply was more of Jace's silence.

They entered the main building, and by this time, Agatha was now quietly walking beside him. Three boys were leaning against a wall at the entrance as if they were waiting for someone. As soon as one of the boys saw Agatha and her new friend walk in, he quickly tapped the boy next to him and pointed in her direction. The three then started to make their way towards them and stood in front of them, blocking their path. The boy in the middle scanned Jace thoroughly before looking at Agatha.

"Who is this? One of your charity cases?" he questioned with a smirk playing at his lips.

"Piss off, Lucas," Agatha said in annoyance.

One of the dark-haired boys whispered in Lucas's ear as he pointed towards Jace.

"So, I hear you're the one who beat up my boys." Lucas folded his arms across his chest and smiled devilishly.

Jace couldn't help but roll his eyes at this statement. "They should have just returned what was mine when I asked them politely."

Lucas took a few steps towards Jace until he stood only a few inches away from him. "You put my best friend in the hospital," he whispered in a low tone.

"It's his fault for picking a fight with me," Jace replied.

"Let's see what makes you all high and mighty," Lucas said, grabbing Jace by the collar.